Filter Wheel Problem SBIG

I have a SBIG STF-8300 Camera with a FW8-8300 filter wheel they both connect fine in SGP but the filter always shows Blue and it will not change to any other filter position. I have all of the current driver updates from SBIG. I can connect to the Sky X Pro camera addon or Maxim DL 6 and the filter wheel works fine also works fine in CCDOP’s. Checked my old computer that SGP was working fine with SBIG and all of my settings are the same. HELP! I can not figure this one out.

Thanks
Kim

Kim,
Logs and other info would be helpful. Please see here:

Thanks,
Jared

Hello Jared,
Here is a link to the log file I hope it works.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0tk4nubr8m1kmgk/AAAeZE-_weJpmWGgWPn6zAaUa?dl=0

I noticed in the log file it mentioned SBIG Error while setting CFW device: BAD_PARAMETER but I have no idea what to do about it.

Thank You
Kim

Something is definitely wrong here. I don’t think I can determine exactly what it is. We have many folks using your exact camera and CFW without any issue so it is likely something environmental. USB Hubs, cables, bad seating of cables, etc. This is could be further supported by what appears to be failure followed by sudden success with no user action taken in between… The change at 07 errors out and the one right after it at 09 seems to work fine.

[10/4/2015 8:47:07 PM] [DEBUG] [Filter Wheel Thread] SGM_FW_SET_POSITION message received...
[10/4/2015 8:47:07 PM] [DEBUG] [Filter Wheel Thread] SBIG Error while setting CFW device: BAD_PARAMETER
[10/4/2015 8:47:07 PM] [DEBUG] [Filter Wheel Thread] SGM_FW_SET_POSITION complete...
[10/4/2015 8:47:07 PM] [DEBUG] [Filter Wheel Thread] SGM_FW_SET_POSITION message received...
[10/4/2015 8:47:07 PM] [DEBUG] [Filter Wheel Thread] SBIG Error while setting CFW device: BAD_PARAMETER
[10/4/2015 8:47:07 PM] [DEBUG] [Filter Wheel Thread] SGM_FW_SET_POSITION complete...
[10/4/2015 8:47:09 PM] [DEBUG] [Filter Wheel Thread] SGM_FW_SET_POSITION message received...
[10/4/2015 8:47:10 PM] [DEBUG] [Filter Wheel Thread] SGM_FW_SET_POSITION complete...
[10/4/2015 8:47:12 PM] [DEBUG] [Filter Wheel Thread] SGM_FW_SET_POSITION message received...
[10/4/2015 8:47:12 PM] [DEBUG] [Filter Wheel Thread] SGM_FW_SET_POSITION complete...

Hi Ken,
I tried running a new USB cable straight from camera to computer in different port bypassing USB and existing cable still no joy. Also the log is kind of misleading 07 and 09 it never moved the filter wheel or changed the color that it said it was on in SGP it always says Blue. The camera and filter wheel will connect in The Sky X, and CCDOP’s so I dont think its a USB issue. I even tried updating SGP to the beta version uninstalling and reinstalling still no joy. Not sure what else to try.

Thanks
Kim

OK… did some checking around. With driver 4.88 build 4, everything with the FW8-8300 worked fine. The driver you are using (build 9) released 3 days ago, dealt with CFW issues for STT cameras (that is the only item in the release notes). After updating to build 9, I can confiorm the FW8-8300 no longer responds. I cannot remember of there is a way to roll back SBIG drivers (the utility does not seem to allow for this). We will need to see what is going on with build 9.

I know at one point @joelshort dealt with some SBIG driver madness and daily swapping. He might have some insight on how to do this.

Do the other applications you connect in control the CFW or just connect to it like SGPro does? Also, did you take your logs down already? I wanted to look at a couple other items.

OK. I know how to fix this issue (conform with the new driver). It wont take long and will be out with the next beta of 2.4.3. Thx for the report.

Here is the link to the log file sorry I took it down thought you were done with it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxcpjnperlpmk6h/sg_logfile_20151004173945.txt?dl=0

I’m not sure how to answer your question about the other applications I connect in control the CFW

I believe CCDOPS actually controls the filter wheel as its SBIG’s application, in The Sky X I have to choose and setup the filter wheel like SGP. When will the next Beta of SGP be released?

Thanks for your help and quick reply.
Kim

Thx @kquick . Not sure if you saw my last note, but I actually found a way to refactor our CFW control code to work with the FW8.

Yes I seen both notes was not sure if you still needed the log file. When will the Beta with the fix be available for download?

Thanks
Kim

OK. So I put the code in this evening to fix this issue. Essentially, the latest version of the SBIG drivers does not support selecting “AUTO” as the type for FW8-8300. If you do this, it will just act the same way it is acting now. In order to get your CFW to work (when the 2.4.3.8 beta is released), you must open the SBIG CFW settings and EXPLICITLY choose FW8-8300 from the list.

Hello Ken,
I do not know if this will make any difference but I just looked at my settings in SGP Ver 2.4.3.7 and I have CFW-8300 selected and it still does not work. Link to screen capture https://www.dropbox.com/s/iyqfst50vbgtpcv/SGP.JPG?dl=0

Thanks
Kim

Yes, this is expected. The fix is in 2.4.3.8, not 2.4.3.7. You will still need to pick your FW explicitly though.

Ken, thanks for the quick response and fix. I downloaded SGP Ver 2.4.3.8 today and every thing works fine now.

Thank You!
Kim