First Night problems

Not sure what you mean, can’t see anything that resembles “Get public link” it says that the person I have emailed should be able to read the file?

What about Dropbox - SGPro Plate solve problemsg_logfile_20170512200555.txt - Simplify your life

Hi
Was the log file the correct one this time?

As an aside, is this problem anything to do with the following? I can’t find any reference to it elsewhere nor have I got an answer on SGL

Platesolve2 has both data catalogues ADM and UCAC3 configured, but when I select ADM in the parameter box and close it, when it is opened again UCAC3 is selected. It doesn’t seem to matter that I save the selection in Equipment Profile Manager, the Platesolver2 parameter always revert back to the UCAC3 catalogue being selected.

However, changes made to none of the Platesolve2 settings parameters get saved. Any other changes made to camera, focus, filters settings etc etc get saved to the equipment profile when it is saved.

Presumably changes made to Platesolve2 settings on the parameters page should likewise be saved? It means that I can’t seem to get the APM catalogue as the default. This may be the reason that I am having so much trouble getting SGPro platesolving to work?

Hi

Another attempt tonight to get plate solving going. This time I took Platesolve2 out of the equation by downloading the ANSVR files during the day and used Local Astrometry NET as my solver.

The log file is attached. The attempt to solve images started at 22.01pm and as you can see every attempt for the next half an hour or so ended in failure.

22.01 Set a “Slew to” and “Centre on” Arcturus. This time unlike previously the solving process got to Step 3 but plate solving failed.
22.05 “Take one” of the sky, clicked the image and asked it to plate solve. It failed.

22.07 Tried a Blind solve. Message "uploading & solving waiting on ANSVR. Solve failed. Tried again and failed.
22.12 Moved the scope, Clicked on Target Setting hit “Centre Now” Gets to step 3 and fails again.
Tried several more attempts until around 22.30 and gave up.

link Dropbox - LOG FILE SUNDAYsg_logfile_20170514191149.txt - Simplify your life

Hi,

sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with the plate solving…:sob: Don’t give up !! Once you get it working it will be worth the stress …I promise !!

The log is public now and easy to read. Just a dumb shot in the dark ,…are you sure your pixel scale is correct and part of your profile ?? Sorry, I asked this question before but I know I had the same problem with my rig and the pixel scale was off just enough to cause it to fail EVERY TIME .

Update: I just calculated and it comes out 1.037. So you have the correct scale for sure. Did you use the little tool that SGP provides to calculate pixel scale and click OK to automatically enter it under the camera tab inside the Control Panel ?? Does the pixels Width and Height match correctly ??

Hope this helps.

Did you download the index files for Astrometry as well? It appears to fail immediately. You may want to also post the ANSVR logs as well or pull up the ANSVR log window as it should give you some indication of why it is failing.

Thanks,
Jared

Hi Jared
I will look these up, but computers aren’t my best subject and this is pushing the boundaries. Is it not possible to determine what is going wrong from the previous log when I was using Platesolve2?

Regards

Hi Dennis
Thanks for the encouragement. Yes I used the calculator and as you say it came out at 1.037. When it runs a solve it comes out at precisely 1.0, presumably this value is the one calculated based on the physical sizes that it uses in practice. Checked my chip size 4656 x 3520.
Hoping Jared comes up with something

Hi Jared
Had a look for log file but can’t see anything, delete temporary files was turned on, so this was the reason. I did download the reference files using the min and max FOV of my 2 scopes and the ASI camera. Checked log again after trying a plate solve on an image and the following was recorded in the log, nothing else.

You must be running something already on port 8080… Check your web browser http://localhost:8080

Did you try restarting your computer? If this continues you can change the port to something else like 8081 but have to change the ansvr settings there should be an icon to get to the setup. You will also have to change SGP to point to 8081 instead.

Hi entilza
Thanks for your input, got it running again. I think it had simply stopped running and needed re-starting. However, after restarting it failed to solve images that I opened and clicked on and asked to platesolve. These same images did solve when I switched back to Platesolve2. Despite Platesolve2 solving individual images it will not work when taking and centering images through the scope. At a lost what to do next?

Can you upload one of your frame/focus images to nova.astrometry.net then paste the resulting link back here? This will give you the correct scale and should also show which index file it used.

Hi
Is this what you mean? Astrometry.net submission 1578038

By way of input to download files for ANSVR I have a 120ED scope plus ASI1600 camera FOV 80x61 and a TSED60 scope with AS1600 camera FOV 234x177.

Put 20% of 61 for minimum and 234 for maximum and downloaded the files from there, is this correct?

Yep. So with that it reports your pixel scale is: 0.997 so set that up the SGP camera setup.

As well it said it used index file 4108 to solve.

That is located in Index of /~dstn/4100
You may have to right click and click “save link as” to download.

You should only need that one index file and place it in your astrometry index directory.

C:\Users\ << Your user name here>> \AppData\Local\cygwin_ansvr\usr\share\astrometry\data

You can delete other index files there to speed it up.

Once you do that try loading your image in SGP and right click the image and click “plate solve” then blind solve.

Hi entilza
Did that to the best of my ability and ran it as you said and the end result is still a failed solve. Looking at the log 4108 is part of the data it used and failed to solve with. How come when I put my FOV in it didn’t include one of the files within the range?

Must be something obvious here, but what?

Hi entilza

I have just reinstalled ansvr and am about to select the range of indexes to match my FOV. However, when I look there is no FOV that will load an index file numbered 4108. Am I missing something??

Just to be clear the 4108 is part of astrometry’s wide-field index files. Which are separate from the FOV ones you are offered from the index downloader. Those would most likely work as well. The ones astrometry.net chose to use are not offered as part of the index downloader, and are in a separate FTP directory available on their website. I just like to use the one astrometry.net is using as I’ve had good success with them.

From astrometry.net (use)

Oops, I overwrite my old post, so just to confirm I downloaded your image and it solved very fast with index 4108. I am sure we can get this to work :slight_smile:

Earlier this evening I did a TeamViewer session with @alcol to investigate why his ansvr blind solves were failing.

It turns out there was a latent bug in ansvr that was only showing up on his laptop. The bug was causing ansvr to report to SGP that the solve had failed, even though the solve had succeeded.

I just uploaded a new version of ansvr, v0.19, that fixes the bug. For anyone using ansvr, I recommend upgrading to the newer version.

There simplest way to upgrade is:

Start Menu => Astrometry.net Local Solver => Check for Ansvr Updates

Alternatively, you can do a full install by downloading and running the installer from ansvr - Astrometry.net Local Plate solver for Windows . Do not un-install the old version, just install the new version over the old. If you do un-install the old version it will remove your index files and your settings and you’ll have to re-download the indexes and re-enter your settings.

Andy