Flat box question

Greetings,

So I bought the recommended version of the Arduino and got it all wired up but get the same error message “Failed to get status” from SGP. Using the Arduino Serial Monitor I can send commands to the panel and it reacts properly - I can turn the light on and off and adjust brightness. I am a bit confused as to why it appears to react properly to commands sent manually via the Serial Monitor but SGP still fails to connect properly.

Any thoughts as to what I am doing wrong here?

Thanks

Tom

Can you upload a zip of the Arduino code someplace and I can take a look. It may be that the response looks correct but is missing something like an End of Line character or something is malformed.

Thanks,
Jared

Thanks - I copied the sketch from the Arduino application and pasted it into a word document available here:

It is odd that the command set works fine when manually sent via the Serial Monitor but not with the application.

Thanks again

Tom

Hi,

Please try this.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/hyv8qghwdvyg4w2/ArduinoLightBox.txt/file

Bingo! That works! If you don’t mind me asking, what were the changes? My knowledge is fairly basic, but from what I can tell you added in some code that appears to deal with the serial communications and changed a \r to a \n in the serialreadbytes commands. I am presuming that it was not waiting long enough to get a response or something like that and timing out too quickly.

Anyway, much appreciated!

Tom

1 Like

Glad that this script works for you. Actually I am not a coding guy as well. But I learn hard to understand this lightbox coding and do a lot of research by looking at forums. :slight_smile:

Do share the result if possible.

clear skies.

You are a better forum navigator that I, clearly! Also, I like the handle! I have shared it with a friend of mine who is a coder so perhaps he can provide some clarification. Once I get that I will report back.

Thanks!

I wonder if something is broken in that branch. Looks like the change was made to the “serial available” check but that seems like more of a red herring. If you don’t need the stepper motor support you may want to try the original which I created and can be found here:

Thank you,
Jared

Thanks Jared - keeping track of the branches and forks of these things can be a challenge for me. I downloaded that version and it works perfectly. If I leave the brightness at 255 when I disconnect the panel stays on - I will just have to remember to set that to zero at the end of a flats session.

I appreciate all of your and Tomastro’s help on this!

Tom

Hi Tom,

That’s been an issue with the flat panel for as long as i can remember with SPG. What I always do is follow my flats with at least one bias frame and that always turns the flat panel off. I never make the flats the last thing. If I do the flat panel will not turn off. Doing a bias at the end keeps me from having to remember to manually turn the panel brightness down to zero.

I thought I brought this issue up about the panel not turning off if it’s on or if it’s the last thing when SPG disconnects a while back but I don’t think it ever got looked at.

Mark