Flats Sequence tries to Plate Solve when Manual Rotator is On

Replace text between single * with your own descriptions. Leave text between double ** to maintain formatting. You can delete these instructions.

Useful Info

Ver: 3.1.0.405

Description

*When I run a sequence with Flats with the Rotator Enabled (Manual for me) and an angle specified, SGP attempts to plate solve. Should the active target plate solve for rotation when the events are all flats?

Mark W*

Steps to Reproduce this Issue

• Step 1: Set up sequence target as a set of Flats events. Enable the Rotation checkbox in the Target dialog. Set the rotation angle for the manual rotator. Do not move to target is selected.
  • Step 2: Run the sequence.

Logs

To get logs: In SGPro click the Help->Open Log or if you are looking for logs from a previous session, Help->Open Log Folder and search by date.

At present, SGPro does not inspect target frame type composition in order to determine what target actions to execute (or how to execute them). Many folks use the Flats Wizard to create an entirely new target that is based on the target with light frames. This new target, by default, will not have any settings that prompt centering or framing actions and is intended for use directly after the light frames have finished. Especially with a manual rotator, the odds of getting back to the exact angle used to capture lights is pretty slim… Because of this we have never added any kind of “get back to the lights angle” without plate solving (even using plate solving is unlikely to be successful)… Flats, applied to lights that “generally” at the same angle will be pretty good at removing gradients, but will not be great at removing “dust-mote” artifacts. i.e. there would be some use for a feature like this so I am moving it to feature requests.

https://www.mainsequencesoftware.com/Content/SGPHelp/FlatsWizard.html

Ken,

Thanks for your reply. What I was trying to do was get the camera rotation angle in the file name. It would set it to zero if the target rotation was not checked. It will set the rotation in the file name if I use the rotator tool with a manual rotator before running the flats.

Mark