G11 & Gemini 2 Meridian Flips with SGP

Seems to be lots of questions on this topic but not seeing a clear answer. Using a new G11 with Gemini 2 and SGP. All software and ASCOM drivers are current.
SGP is set up to perform a meridian flip 4 minutes after meridian (well before the safety limits on the G11) with re-center ticked. Have even tried extending the time out as far as 12 minutes. SGP is issuing the commands per the log file but mount will not respond. Has anyone found a clear path on why this is happening and know of the fix?

CJ

1 Like

I’m also using G11, but due to the lack of clear skies I still haven’t completely gotten the hang of meridian flips with it. I’m using Gemini-1, but I suspect Gemini-2 is similar.

I think you need to set the Go To limit in Gemini settings to something else than 0 to get the mount working properly with SGP. In Gemini-1 the Go To limit of 0 means that the mount refuses to flip until it is 2.5 degrees from the safety limit. The Go To limit is a bit confusing, since the value 0 is a special case. If it isn’t zero, it is interpreted so that a limit of 90 degrees allows flips right after crossing the meridian, 95 allows flipping 5 degrees after meridian and so forth. Values 1-89 might be problematic, since then flipping would happen before the meridian.

So to clarify, if the Go To limit is set to 90, any gotos past the meridian will automatically flip so that the scope is on the east side of the pier. If the limit is set to 100 degrees and the scope is on the west side of the pier, and you try to issue a goto going under 10 degrees west of the meridian, the scope will not flip. But if you issue a goto going over 10 degrees west of the meridian, the mount will flip.

So I suspect you have the default setting of 0, and the mount will not try to flip when SGP asks it to, and SGP sees that the flip didn’t happen. I changed my Go To limit to 90 degrees, but I haven’t had the chance to test if it works.

It’s all in the Gemini user manual, but it took a while until I understood it (or at least I think I understand it). I might have a chance to test it out tonight, unless clouds get the best of me.

1 Like

I can gladly confirm that I was able to do an automatic meridian flip with a GoTo Limit of 90 in the Gemini ASCOM driver settings and Minutes Past Meridian to Flip set to 20 minutes in SGP.

The GoTo Limit setting is a bit hidden in the Gemini ASCOM settings. You can find it in Advanced Gemini Settings… -> Set Safety Limits -> Set Arbitrary Safety and Goto Limits.

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll be experimenting tonight to see!

I changed my settings and had the GOTO limit to 90. Had an error though when I went to align on Capella, I got the error Object Not Reachable. I know that to be false because the star was on the east about 60 degrees or maybe higher. My western limit is 100 and eastern is 98. Would this have prevented the GOTO? What safety limits are you utilizing?
On the other side of things, When I manually pushed the scope near the meridian and activated SGP, it plate solved, saw that the scope was within limits and effectively took control and performed a MF to reacquire the image. So that is working.

Make sure you don’t perform a sync while at a counter weight down park position. This will cause bad things to happen. Be sure to slew off a big prior to doing an initial solve and sync.

Thanks,
Jared

1 Like

I think those limits are okay. Mine are set to 113 and 92 respectively. As long as neither limit is less than 90, they shouldn’t block gotos.

Thanks naavis!

HI Jared, I would be very keen to hear what sort of bad things as I think you may have explained a running issue for me. I have been finding since upgrading to v3 I am having lots of issues with the mount after syncing… like completely random direction travel to what it which way it should be… and eventually bashing into itself. If it could tie itself up in knots it really is giving it a damn good go… to the point I have to rush to shut off the mount…so looking at this thread just now and your “bad things” makes me think…hmm… I have been syncing recently from park position… we maybe this explains my gremlins.