Gemini SnapCap wont Connect

Hello
I’m having an issue trying to get my Gemini SnapCap to connect in SGP. I can get it to operate in Maxim. I can also control it via the Windows Program. The WIndows Program is definitely disconnected when I have my issue - indeed, I didn’t even have the Windows App installed when I began having difficulties. When I try to set up the the SnapCap, I get this dialogue box:

SnapCap

If I try to connect, I get this:

Snap2

Here is my last Log File:

sg_logfile_20190921094623.txt (18.0 KB)

I look forward to hearing any suggestions.

Try opening up the settings and specifying the com port. Guessing the com port is null and we’re not handling that correctly. I’ll double check that.

Jared

Thanks Jared. Unfortunately I cannot open the settings dialogue. When I press the button I get the screen shown in the first image above.

I don’t know if this helps, but when I look in Device Manager, the Gemini is listed as a ‘USB Serial Device’ , whereas all my other Serial to USB devices are listed as ‘USB Serial Ports’. It would be nice to get a fix for this.

@gnomus

Unsure where the problem is right now… haven’t seen this before. When using other applications, what COM port do they indicate that the SnapCap is on? I can certainly stop the crash from happening, but I dont think that will help much in this case since it is crashing due to either:

• Finding zero com ports
  • Encountering an error when querying all COM ports

Either way, the net result is that we dont have any COM ports to use to put in the setup window…

I don’t have a SnapCap available at the moment… maybe somebody else with one can chime in

Thanks, Ken. I know that the Snacap is on Com 3. And with the other applications, I can select it without issue. But when I press the little spanner in SGP (or the ‘Settings’ button under the Equipment Profile Manager) I get the first image shown in the initial post ‘Unhandled exception …’.

The SnapCap used to work in SGP and I am not certain when it stopped working. (I’ve been using a rig with an Alnitak Flip Flat on it for a while). I was using 3.0.3.169 until a couple of days. I’ve tried the latest beta to see if that worked, but I get the same message.

And the SnapCap is working completely normally in the other applications, so I don’t think that has developed a fault.

Also, of course, SGP is able to detect (and connect to without any errors) all my other devices on their COM ports (4 thru 7).

I’m not entirely sure what’s happening. Walking through the Snap Cap code it all seems pretty safe especially around where it seems to be failing for you.

Is the error different when bringing up the settings dialog? That might help us to pinpoint what the error is. I can’t see a way that that error could actually be the same between connecting and the settings dialog. Can you screen shot both?

Jared

Apologies if my initial post was not clear:

When I try to enter the settings dialogue, I get this:

SnapCap

If I simply try connecting to it, I get this:

Snap2

All other devices that use Com ports work normally. I’m happy to take more screenshots if that would help.

And just to illustrate what I said about the Com Ports in an earlier post. This is Device Manager. The SnapCap is on Com 3:

ComPorts

OK. Some progress. When trying to use my Equipment Profile ‘Tak 106’, then no matter what I did, I could not get the SnapCap to connect. Nor could I configure it using ‘Settings’ or the Spanner icon. If I did that I would get the errors shown above.

I have just tried a different equipment profile - one that also used the SnapCap. And the SnapCap worked! However, when I went back to my Tak 106 profile I got errors again. So, I loaded the older profile that worked, made the changes necessary to work the Tak 106 rig and then saved the Sequence as a profile - in fact over-writing the Tak 106 profile. It now all works.

Is it possible that the issue was due to the Tak 106 profile itself being corrupted in some way?

In this case, can you successfully open the SnapCap settings dialog (spanner)? Or just connect successfully?

With the overwritten profile, I am now able to access the spanner.

@gnomus

Would you be willing to send the profile (sgp file) that is busted?

I would have been happy to do that. Unfortunately, that profile has now been overwritten by the working profile.