Getting error with plate solving 2

Hi,
I kindly ask your help to solve this problem.
I run ver.2.4.3.25
I use Plate solve 2
As I start SGP there’s a message telling me to set the catalogs for plate solver 2.
So I go for it but when i click on “settings” to tell to the plate solver where the catalogs are located i get this error:
Component “comdlg32.ocx” or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

When i run the Plate solve 2.exe from inside the SGP folder it starts regularly and the catalogs are correctly set up.

But if i start SGP again the error messages come up again.

I can’t stand the error messages coming up every time I open SGP… Is there someone with the same problem who can help me please?

Thank you for your help.
F.

This looks as if it’s something to do with where comdlg32.ocx is installed. This is an old VB6 component and it either has to be in the same file as the process that’s running or in a Windows system file location. The process may be running from a different location if PlateSolve2 is running from SGP or stand alone. The location to install it where every application can use it is something like C:\Windows\System32 although that may be different on a 64 bit system. It’s a while since I did much VB6 coding.

It’s a tricky one because the developers don’t see it because the development system installs this correctly and a lot of other applications also install it correctly. It gets missed from the installer and works for most people but then fails occasionally. In this case you are lucky and the error reports what is missing.

Chris

I copied the file comdlg32.ocx into the System 32 folder. I found a copy of it in a folder called System 64WOW or something like that… I copied the file there also. Same errors, same messages…It didn’t solve the problem. Put the things back as they were before. I hope to find some other help or hints.
I’m not able to solve this by myself.
Please help me.
Thank you.

I find the solution:
from the window’s prompt screen type:

regsvr32 /u comdlg32.ocx

then press the Enter key;
then press Ok on the message icon that you get.
Get back to the prompt screen and type

regsvr32 /i comdlg32.ocx

then press the enter key
Press Ok.

start SGP again and go to to the SGP control Panel --> Plate Solve
Choose Plate solve 2 from the menu and click on the “setting” button of plate solve 2.

Plate solve 2 will now open and you can go on associating the plate solve APM and UCAC3 catalog directories.

SOLVED! at last.
F.

Thanks for looking into this. A few people see this issue (most don’t). We will either try to:

• See if we can execute these commands during install (since the installer runs with admin privileges)
  • At the very least add this to the PlateSolve2 help file.

“regsvr32 is a command-line utility in Microsoft Windows operating systems for registering and unregistering DLLs and ActiveX controls in the Windows Registry”

FrancescoPelizzo, you have just correctly registered your incorrectly registered file

:grinning:

Sounds like a master plan Ken

I solved the problem this way; I hope it helps the many others who are upset with their registry then… It worked to me, hope it’ll work for others. I’m a common user, not a developer, not a programmer… and I think we have to USE the software, not to be worried about its possible malfunctions. I did my search, I found this procedure, I understood how it works, I tried it on my copy of SGP first and it worked! now share! Maybe someone needs the same solution!

1 Like

SGPro 2.5.0.7 now attempts to auto register the PlateSolve2 dependencies on install.

I’m glad you’ve find my solution helpful.

I ran into this problem but after running “regsvr32 /u comdlg32.ocx” I had to run regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx without the “/i” in order to get it registered/fixed. Otherwise the entry point was not found error occurred.

just thought I’d add this in case anyone else was searching for answers and having similar registering problem like I was.

Best,
Shawn

I am still not sure what type of Windows user this happens to. We can likely attempt to have the installer do this…