Has anyone used a DMK USB camera with SGP?

I would love to do mosaics of the moon using SGP but as far as I know, there is no way to drive the camera without ASCOM from within SGP?

There is a 3rd party ASCOM driver but it does not run. I’m wondering if anyone else has had more success or maybe use a different video device with SGP?

We currently don’t support DMK or other video type cameras. We do have native support for some cameras (SBIG, QSI, Apogee). But if there is a viable ASCOM driver we generally prefer that as it requires us to do…well, nothing :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Jared

thanks Jared, that is what I expected - my question was really directed more towards those solar system imagers who may know of a small sensor video camera that has a working ASCOM driver. I’m assuming if there was one, I could still use SGP?

I wonder if the growing use of digital SLR and mirror-less camera’s video modes is taking over and so the need had diminished.

I may have to blow the dust of Maxim… ahem, which I recall works with the DMK…
sorry for blaspheming twice in one day!

Hi Jared,

Does SGP currently support native drivers for Apogee? Specifically,
Does it support the native drivers for control of the CFW31 series
Filter wheels?

@tiorbinist

SGPro does not have any native support for Apogee equipment. Native support is currently limited to SBIG, FLI, QSI and DSLRs

There are ASCOM drivers for Apogee cameras and filter wheels. I wrote them some years ago. If they don’t work you will need to take it up with Apogee, they took over the support of this.

Chris

Hi Chris or Ken,

I have an Apogee A8050 with a CFW31-8R Filter Wheel. I’ve been in contact with Andor/Apogee asking for an ASCOM driver. Unfortunately, Andor/Apogee refuses to write an ASCOM driver for the camera they built. It’s rather shocking, but, true.

After I’ve communicated with Ray and Andor/Apogee, he suggested two options.

1. See if there is any possibility of having Ken write a wrapper in SGPRO to support the CFW.
  2. See if Chris could write the ASCOM driver to support the CFW.

Anyway, I know it’s a very long shot. But, I had to reach out and see if any of these options are available. I really wanted to use SGPRO, however, Andor/Apogee customer support will not give me the needed drivers/support for the camera they built.

Thank you,

Doug

Let’s explore what the current situation is, this is what I think.

• From a look at the Apogee site the Ascent A8050 camera is compatible with the Alta camera range and the ASCOM driver should work for this camera.

• The CFW filter wheel won’t work. The Apogee filter wheels that are supported are the type with a separate USB connection but the CFW wheels plug into the camera and use the Ascent Peripheral interface to power and control the wheel.

What would be needed is a new ASCOM combined camera and filterwheel driver, the camera section would be similar to the current driver but the filterwheel section would be new and the driver would have to be designed so that the camera and filter wheel can be controlled from separate applications.
This should all be technically possible and I could do it, but there are snags.

• I would need to have access to the camera/filterwheel hardware while I develop the driver. This can’t be done remotely.

• I would need paying.

• Even so I’m not sure I want to.

The best way is for Apogee to get me to do this and for them to pay me. They provide the kit and support and the driver is distributed through their web site. It may be worth letting them know that I could be persuaded to at least look at this.

Doing this as a one off for a user won’t be cost or time effective. I would need to have your kit while I developed the driver. You are also bearing all the cost of the development. The work I do is practically the same regardless of how many copies of the software are made.

Shipping kit to me will be very expensive. I’m in the UK and you would end up getting stung for tax when it’s imported. Getting that refunded may not be practical.

It may be worth getting back to Apogee and letting them know that I may be prepared to see what can be done.

The only other thing may be to return the filter wheel and get a different one that can be controlled separately.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for responding! Everything you mentioned about the Apogee Camera is true. Yes, I can connect to the camera VIA ASCOM driver, and Yes, the camera uses a single USB cable with a Peripheral interface to power/control the FW.

I’ll see if there’s any possibility of Ray contacting you.

Thank you,

Doug