Help setting up Rigel nSTEP focusing system

One more update…So right now I am able to see temperature but not the current position…

Also, after I open SGP, I have to first open the nSTEP icon to be able to have SGP connect to it without getting any errors. After I do this, I am able to see the temperature but not position.

Don’t know how to simply have SGP open the nSTEP without getting errors even though the USB is shown in the device manager under COM3 port.

Ok. Last update of the day…

I was able to sort out the cable issues after talking to Leon Palmer of Rigel.

I can confirm that the motor is working fine in native mode but I am still having issues with SGP.

I can connect through SGP and now the window does show both position and temperature which is great. But I cannot access the setting for the focuser through SGP (it gives me an error message) so I am not sure if I am fully connected. As a matter of fact, the focuser window in SGP does not give me the option of running it (that tab is in grey and cannot be pressed)

new%208

Ok, looks like you’re making progress.

It appear you are not fully connect. I don’t see the nSTEP icon in your task bar. When SGP connects it calls up the nSTEP ASCOM driver and the nSTEP icon is displayed on the system tray usually next to the SGP icon, like this.

System%20Tray

This must be the reason why you’re getting the exception error. at this point I’m not sure why. I never seen a situation that SGP thinks it’s connect to the equipment but it isn’t.

Let me give it some more though. you might need to attach a SGP log file so someone can take a look to see what’s throwing the exception error.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes, you are totally correct. When I open SGP and connect the usb cable from nSTEP to laptop, after selecting the correct focuser and pressing the connect icon, it does show position and temp on SGP’s focusing window but it does not show any icons for the native focuser. The only way it does it is by me doing it manually which then defeats the purpose as it bypasses SGP.

I am in conversation with another person Leon Palmer of Rigel put me in contact with and we’ll se what he has to say…

I will post more when I when more news.

Thanks!

Ok. New update. It turns out I had forgotten to change the settings in Admin after going back to factory settings, that’s why it wasn’t able to fully connect.

Now it does and I am not having any error messages of any kind, I can see both the position and temp on the SGP focuser window and I can also access the focuser settings via SGP as well.

Now, I am still having trouble running the focuser via the focuser window in SGP. The option to “run” is in grey and I cannot press on it…I am trying to move the arrows and nothing…

Thanks,

Sebastian

Mystery solved! I didn’t realize that I needed to have the camera connected to be able to “run” the focuser.

All seems to be working OK!

Now I just need to learn the correct settings for the focuser with regards to the filters…another thing to tackle lol!

Mark and everybody else who took the time to respond to this thred…I can’t thank you enough!

Best Regards

Sebastian