Help with local astrometry.net settings index download

Really need some help here with SGpro. Finally after months of waiting for a clear night I get one only to have SGpro failing to plate solve…then to top it all off the wife locked me out :flushed::joy::joy:
I so frustrated … I’ve had SGpro working fine with my Meade 10 inch scope with f6.3 focal reducer using a QHY10 . It would plate solve with no problem using local astrometry.net
However I tried last night using the scope at f10 ( no focal reducer) and the QHY10 and no matter what I tried it just wouldn’t plate solve I even tried plate solving over the Internet…
I’ve treble checks to make sure all the settings reflect the 2500mm focal length. I’m stumped as to what he problem is I even tried 5 min exposur x2 binned to plate solve with to no avail .
Can someone please check and tell me what astrometry index download files I should be downloading for the local astrometry.net plate solve
The focal length is 2500mm pixel size 6.05 field of view is 0.36 degrees x 0.54 degrees and if I’ve converted that correctly works out at 21.6 x 32.4 arcminutes
Any other help and advice would be greatly appreciated :+1:

Can you manually (i.e. by uploading yourself the picture) plate solve a picture online? And, give us a link to the online solve (or fail)?

What I did this morning was run plate solve on a f10 image I took last year ( pre SGpro) and it platesolved no problem. So what I’ve done all day is a complete reinstall of everything. Will hopefully try it out tonight

Ok now I’m completely baffled . After reinstalling everything it still won’t platesolve . The strange thing is if I go and blind platesolve on the image it has taken it plate solves but says the image scale is 0.9 when it should be 0.55 at f10. When I use the 6.3 focal reducer it’s only 0.79. I’m so frustrated
To recap
I’m using a Meade 10 inch at f10 with a qhy10 ccd scale worked out to be 0.55 . Pixel size is 6.05 fov 21.6 x 32.4 arcmin
Using local astrometry for platesolve all files downloaded
Will not plate solve for positions however will blind platesolve on the image it has taken . All setting are the same for blind and normal platesolve

It will platesolve with no problem at f6.3

I really need some help as I’m pulling my hair out now… it wouldn’t have anything to do with how qhy10 displays the image …as a portrait rotation as opposed to the standard landscape orientation

I’m at work now till Wednesday, I have taken some screen shots but I can’t access them till I get home. I did try platesolving with the scale set to 0.9 and it still didn’t work

With regards to sharing a link to to the online platesolve…I don’t know what you mean or how to do it :flushed:

@MarkW

When you ask the Astrometry.net web service to solve, it creates a public link to your request like this one:

http://nova.astrometry.net/user_images/1636570#annotated

If you are able to save the offending plate solve frame to disk (right click) and share it (along with the SGPro logs showing the failed solve), we can take a look and tell you what’s going on.

Thanks for that ken I’ll have a look when I get home next week as I live on the fire station for 4 days solid at a time. So it’s hit and miss for it to be clear when I’m off. Like I’ve said it’s strange when I use blind solve on the same image and it works although it says the scale is 0.9 when it should be around 0.5 I took some screen shots of this so hopefully will be able to send them

Well I think I might have sorted it but I don’t know how I’ve done it :flushed:. Loaded platesolve2 checked my ansvr settings no downloads, rechecked ccd , mount and all other settings. Feeling confident set up at 11:30 tonight ran the sequence through the ansvr platesolve and it failed :frowning:️ So then re-ran through platesolve2 that also failed :weary:. Feeling very frustrated messed around with different settings but no joy :weary::weary::weary::weary:. So as a last ditch attempt at 2am I thought… I wonder if it’s to do with too few stars in M51 I’m trying to image. So I just slewed my scope anyware in the sky and ran platesolve positioning and …hey presto …it worked​:flushed::flushed:. I then ran the M51 sequence the mount slewed platesolved and worked. I’m currently in the process of imaging :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::slight_smile:️:slight_smile:️. There were a few other things I noticed it came back with image scale 45 and 19 x29 arcmins as opposed to 21x32 So I’ve changed all of them. I just pray this is it sorted :pray::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

Yes - area around M51 can be star poor. You could try tweaking your platesolve settings (ie. increase exp time etc) to get more stars for the platesolve.

Depending on your mount and settings, once you get the first platesolve, subsequent plate solves should go better (ie. subsequent slews will be closer - PS2 won’t work unless slew is close to begin with).

DaveNL