How to best distinguish Imagining camera vs guider on connection (ASI Ascom driver)

I use an ASI290mm for guiding with (ZWO native driver PHD2) and either an ASI1600MM Pro or 294MC Pro as my imaging camera, via the ASCOM driver in SGP. I’ve been using SGP with these cameras for about 18 months now, and when connecting equipment in SGP, 95% of the time camera ASCOM 1 is the imager. However a handful of times ASCOM 1 has been the guider, and it takes 10 to 20 minutes of frustration for me to recognize the issue and connect to the correct camera.

So I’m looking for a good way to avoid this ever again going forward. Is there a way to name the cameras so that the connection icon displays something more specific to which camera is which in the list than ASCOM(1) vs ASCOM(2)?

If not, what is the best way to ensure I connect to the imager vs the guider?

Thanks

Hi,

I use a StarlightXpress SX814M imaging camera and Lodestar 2 camera for guiding and also have this issue.

I am a backyard imager so I now generally physically connect the Lodestar only after the 814M has connected. The SX814 is a cooled CCD so I now know that if I do not see a temperature read-out for the imaging camera that the SGP has incorrectly been connected to the Lodestar.

If I was connecting to my rig remotely I think this would be a very annoying behaviour! Until I realised what was happening I was very confused as to what was happening.

I guess resolution of this issue depends on the ability of SGP to more precisely instruct the SX ASCOM driver which camera connection is needed. Or is the ASCOM driver getting this info and not operating correctly?

Regards

Mike

Hi,

I, also have this issue with 2 x ASI cameras and I now, make sure I have camera connection,
by going into Sharpcap and identifying the actual cameras connected. Then back to SGP and
the ascom camera chooser - properties - to be sure you have the right camera. Then, as mentioned earlier, check the temp module.

Better camera identification would help here.

Regards,
Scott.

Hi,

I belive I have managed to resolve this connection issue for my SX cameras/drivers.

Hopefully this method will also work for users of other camera makes with this issue.

Clicking on the Spanner icon next to the camera identifier in the equipment area of the SGP Sequence window brings up an SX Camera Set-up window. Within this window is an area labelled Advanced USB Parameters, and within this area is an option to specify the VID/PID identifier for the imaging camera. I found the VID/PID identifier for my SX814 and Lodestar on the SX web-site but it can also be found by opening Windows Device Manager and looking in the Info field for the relevant cameras in USB Devices/Events tab.

The VID/PID details for the guide camera can be entered in a similar manner by opening the Connect Equipment window in PHD2.

Hopefully this approach will work for users of other makers imaging and guide cameras.

Best of Luck

Mike

Ha! I’m having the same problem with my ASI120 (guider) and ASI1600MM (imager). The work-around I’ve found is to connect to the 120 in PHD before plugging the 1600 into the USB port. Once connected, I plug the 1600 in and connect to it in SGP. Not elegant, but it works. This didn’t happen when I used the native ASI drivers, but I understand the motivation for moving away from them.