How to quit plate solve quickly?

I’m a bit loathed to ask this question as I run 32bit Windows 10 in Virtualbox on an old 2011 MacBook Pro. Plenty of room for errors in that alone. However I have at times needed to quit plate solving (errors with the mount or suddenly finding I’m trying to plate solve a tree!) and it takes forever to close. Is it just me and my system? I end restarting everything (its quicker) but would love for it to just stop immediately so I can then keep everything connected and quickly sort out the problems I’ve created. Again could just be me…?

1 Like

Hmm, 16 months later without a response… I have the same question
Just say’n

Hello Poodle

Sorry I don’t have an answer to your question, but I have a question of my own - how on earth did you get SGP to work on a Mac? I started a thread about that a month or so ago, I’m using Parallels, and I keep hitting a brick wall with getting any of the USB-connected devices to be recognized. None of the replies I got helped at all, I would love your input.

Cheers
Mark

Hey Mark, as an update I’m using the 64 bit version of Windows 10 now running as a virtual machine in Virtualbox 6.0.12 on my 2017 13” MacBook Pro. Virtualbox is free and took a little bit of fiddling initially but once you install the extensions pack (on the Mac side) you can connect all USB3 devices. Also guest additions needs to be setup on the Windows side. Everything works well (SGP, PHD2, EQMOD, Cartes du Ciel, Voyager) and ASCOM keeps it all connected. I’m not very computer savvy either so figure if I can make it work it can’t be too hard! Errors are often not in the VM but either windows related or user error. Occasionally I do get communication errors in which case I restart things, but it seems (lately) this has been due to a dodgy USBc to USB3 hub. I save my subs to a shared folder so that’s also easy when it comes to processing, which I do on the Mac side (PixInsight).

Cancelling a platesolve should generally be pretty quick. What solver are you using and how/when is the cancel happening?

Jared

My experience has been that cancelling PS2 often does not go well (takes long time, or even crash). If wait until roll-over to ANSVR, then no problem cancelling.

Davenl

In this case, we are waiting for PlateSolve2 to exit… there is no cancel message we can send it. But… we can more aggressively attempt to just shut it down

@Ken Understood. I’ve just learned to wait until the end of PS2 effort and then cancel ANSVR which is usually immediate. If I try to cancel PS2 it seems to take longer (ie. much more than just waiting for end of normal PS2 routine to finish). Either way, its not really a big deal for me (but maybe for others).

DaveNL

@dnube

The next beta will have a small change where SGPro continues its fight with PlateSolve2 in the background in order to let the sequence (or manual interaction) proceed.

2 Likes