Imaging through the betas - W Veil Neb

Managed 50 hours exposure overall during the exceptional weather of the last few weeks. 45 hours of narrowband and a few hours of RGB to put in the star color.

7 Likes

Nice job Buzz. I’m not sure I like the orange color but the detail is amazing. You did great bringing out the OIII filaments!

The color is infinitely variable. I have three others. Maybe this one ?

Ha, well I don’t really like the green in that one. :grinning: But hey, what’s most important is what YOU like since this is so subjective. I’d be thrilled with a detailed image like that.

1 Like

For me - the colour in the 1st is more pleasing but agree with Joel - it is the detail that wins the day - no matter what colours you use :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like to colour images so I can pretend they are how they would look as I’m approaching in my starship - ignoring details such as they won’t get brighter, just bigger, and my eyes are much more sensitive to H-beta so everything would look green.

Really I Iike less saturated colours than what we usually see, but that’s just me. All these are spectacular - and maybe the starship has image enhancing windows.

wow buzz… I didn’t think betas produced images like that. Nice work!

1 Like

Just for you Chris…

2 Likes

Thanks! Much less garish.

Chris

Love the colors of the first one better. You can see more details than with the red version. Must be something with color perception of human eye.
What focal length did you use?
Great work!

It is a Takahashi FSQ85 with the 1.01 flattener on to a KAF8300 4/3 CCD.

Great work. To get the detail it is essential to have excellent guiding. Can you share with us the details of your mount and guiding method. What is your typical guiding error?

Hi. Mount is a Paramount MX running ProTrack. Guided with an off-axis guider/Lodestar/PHD2. Typically 5 second guide exposures, 5% hysteresis, 75% aggression. RMS is about 0.3”. If I reduce the exposure I increase the hysteresis and reduce the aggression slightly. Min move is usually.05.

Thanks. Awesome mount and guiding accuracy. Processing skills aside, this explains a lot.