Internet Capability in the Observatory

Hi Group,

Back in January I was looking for an alternative to my Images Plus camera control software. While SGP was a bit of overkill for my needs, there was excellent word of mouth and I decided to do the trial version. Unfortunately, while I could run the trial version in my home, it would not operate in my Observatory. Jared was very helpful in diagnosing the problem. The software would not operate without an internet connection.

I subsequently selected APT for my camera control and have been very happy with it.

Now Iā€™m getting more intrigued with various autofocus systems, all of which (I believe) require the SGP or Maxim DL like software. So Iā€™m back to looking for solutions for my internet issue.

My internet service is satellite provided, and directed into my house. My observatory is roughly 200 feet from the house.

I welcome all suggestions. The simpler, the better.

Thanks,

Mark

Is the inability to work without an internet connection fundamental to SGP or a consequence of using some component that needs an internet connection?

If fundamental can it be changed? Lots of people image in the field, with no internet connection. Mobile phone based connections can be pretty tenuous.

Chris,

I run SGP out at my ā€˜obsā€™ laptop without internet connection. Unsure re Markā€™s initial post and what exactly he is looking forā€¦but for sure I do not require internet out at the scope to run SGP on the laptop sitting beside it. In fact, although I have the ability to connect that laptop to my router (home network) I have specifically stopped any ability for that IP to get an outside connection to the internetā€¦even though I do not connect to the home network while actually imaging. I only make the connection afterward to download my nightā€™s subs to the home computer for processing later on the higher spec computer.

Hope that is of help.

Kinch

Thanks Chris and Kinch.
Well, Iā€™m a bit confused now. I have attached Jaredā€™s comment from January, and it was specific to getting the trial version working.

So I think that (if the policy is still in place) i would need to haul my desktop in from the Observatory and then actuate the trial version. Once done then there would be no further need for the internet.

In the event I purchased SGP, would i need to go through the same routine?

"Unfortunately an internet connection is required to start the trial. After the trial is started you donā€™t need to have it connected. But it at least needs the connection to start the trial. "
Thanks,
Jared Wellman
Co-Founder and Developer
www.mainsequencesoftware.com[quote=ā€œniteman1946, post:1, topic:373, full:trueā€]

Hi Group,

Back in January I was looking for an alternative to my Images Plus camera control software. While SGP was a bit of overkill for my needs, there was excellent word of mouth and I decided to do the trial version. Unfortunately, while I could run the trial version in my home, it would not operate in my Observatory. Jared was very helpful in diagnosing the problem. The software would not operate without an internet connection.

I subsequently selected APT for my camera control and have been very happy with it.

Now Iā€™m getting more intrigued with various autofocus systems, all of which (I believe) require the SGP or Maxim DL like software. So Iā€™m back to looking for solutions for my internet issue.

My internet service is satellite provided, and directed into my house. My observatory is roughly 200 feet from the house.

I welcome all suggestions. The simpler, the better.

Thanks,

Mark
[/quote]

Just to end any speculation hereā€¦ SGPro itself does not require an internet connection to function. What it does require is a one time internet connection to begin the trial or to register after a new product is purchased. After that, you may take your machine anywhere youā€™d like.

Thanks Ken. That clarifies things.

Mark

This is a reply to Karl who posted on the previous site (before it was locked)

Hello Karl, in answer to your question, the 2 dishes are generic - purchased from my local electronics and gadgets shop (Jaycar) for very little. They mount on short J-Poles.
The one on the house connects back to one of the antenna outlets on the back of my router. These are just the normal screw-on antennae that supply a wireless signal to the house. It doesnā€™t need both to supply our house and in any case, I have all internet connections inside the house using ethernet-over-power adapters so the wireless signal is only there for devices like iPads etc. And both antennae on the router arenā€™t necessary for that purpose so one of them can be hijacked to feed one of these dishes. Youā€™ll need suitable cable and some adapters.

The attached photos show the dish on the house and the one on the observatory which is line-of-sight about 200 metres away.

I run 2 piers in my observatory with each mount/scope having its own PC and each PC is connected to the network via a 4-port switch.

I attach a photo of the inside of the roll-off-roof section of my obs and another of the ā€œwall of wiresā€ where all the magic happens.

Peter

1 Like

Wonderful setup!

Well, it took me a bit, but I am good to go now. I needed only two components to make the wifi functional. The first was a NetGear Extender. Once configured, I plugged this into an outlet on my back porch facing towards the observatory, which was about 100 to 150 ft away through trees. This device brought a strong signal from my home wifi out to the OBS. Then I found that the OBS computer was not set up for wifi. So the second device was a NetGear N600 WiFi DB USB adapter. This plugged directly into OBS computer and everything worked.
SGP is now up and running.

Thanks for everyoneā€™s thoughts.

Mark