Large telescope and meridian flips

I recently purchased a large long refractor which with safety limits of my g11 mount cuts out 68 minutes (24 minutes on the east and 44 minutes on the west) around the meridian. In other words the mount must meridian flip when it reaches 84 degrees of 90 at the meridian but can only flip to 79 degrees on the west side. Is there a way to handle this in SGPRO? Delay the sequence for 68 minutes or in some other way?

Rob

What kind of refractor would cause that problem? Sounds very unpractical .
As far as i know the only way to handle this is either do the meridian flip manually or simply set SGP to run a different target for the period the scope can’t point at the original target.

Thanks xplode. Yes it is perhaps a little impractical. The refractor is a 160 f8. It gives wonderfully sharp pictures, so beautiful in fact that that the inconvenience is well worth it. I had thought of your two options and another of course would be to replace the tripod with a pier, but I was hoping that this not an uncommon problem and there would be some facility for this in SGP.

Rob

Do you have any pics of your setup?

I think most people will have an observatory with a pier with a scope like that so i don’t think it’s a normal problem to have.
Upgrading to a pier is probably your best solution in the long run!

Unfortunately we don’t have a great way to do this. About the best option may be multiple targets of the same object that end/start around the times that you’d hit the meridian. As mentioned you’d need a target for one side, then a “dwell” target for the actual meridian where the scope is moved to a safe area until your target is safely reachable on the other side.

Thanks,
Jared

Thanks, Jared. I was able to solve the problem with hardware, adding extensions to the mount and risers to Losmandy plate. I appreciate your taking time to answer.

Rob

Xplode, I don’t have pictures yet. I found a way with Stellarvue’s help to modify the mount.

Thanks

Rob