Local Astrometry server slow

I also did the solve from the target setting and it took me just 9.5 sec.
I’m still running SGP 2.3.15.

OK now something really wacky is going on. It won’t solve at all now. All I get is a message “Failed to plate solve” almost immediately. I’ve stopped and restarted ansvr, I’ve restarted the computer. Also when I try to go to the ansvr settings I get a message “this webpage is not available.” I’m thinking something got corrupted. Should I try to re-install? (This is on my laptop-processing computer, not my obs capture computer)

Here’s the ansvr log from my OBS computer. The “target settings” solve took 98sec. The “open image” solve took 13.

Ok, we see in the ansvr log that for the 98 second (target settings) solve SGP provided no scale hint, i.e., it was a fully blind solve.

[2015-01-15 13:08:11] request_json is: {"session":"43","allow_commercial_use":"d","allow_modifications":"d","publicly_visible":"y"}
[2015-01-15 13:09:50] SUBS: solve is done

For the 13 second “open image” solve, SGP provided a scale hint.

[2015-01-15 13:10:31] request_json is: {"session":"44","allow_commercial_use":"d","allow_modifications":"d","publicly_visible":"y","scale_units":"arcsecperpix","scale_type":"ev","scale_est":2.3227948750342877,"scale_err":5.0}
[2015-01-15 13:10:43] SUBS: solve is done

I think this makes sense. In the target settings window you can provide any image, like some random shot from astrobin; there’s no reason to assume any particular image scale, so I think SGP is doing the right thing asking for a fully blind solve.

Andy

Is this true in all cases? The image I loaded into the “target settings” window for solving was taken with SGP and therefore the hint data was filled into the fields automatically. Whether I leave the scale hint data or clear the hints out makes no difference in the solve time, which would indicate that SGP does not pass any hints at all in the target settings window.

One final question, something happened to ansvr on my laptop (processing computer). I get nothing but errors when trying to solve or change the ansvr settings via browser interface. Any hints as to what caused that or should I just re-install?

Andy,
I get the following message immediately when trying to blind solve an image in SGP:

Here’s the log file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ri0c5jfkgmsaw78/ansvr_2015-01-14_090031.log?dl=0

I have checked all the settings and even downloaded the installer and tried to install again and get the same message. Switching to online NOVA solves fine. The end point setting is http://127.0.0.1:8080/api and I have also tried http://localhost:8080/api.

This is on my processing laptop, not on my OBS capture computer which solves just fine using all the same settings.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Joel,

That ansvr log shows a bunch of successful solves and no failures. Is it the right log? What does the SG log say?

Andy

I just chose the most recent ansvr log, but honestly the timestamp didn’t make sense. Should it record a new log each time a solve is done, or each time the computer is restarted (ansvr started?)?

Here’s the SGP log. All I did was open SGP, open the image, try to solve via local (failed) then switched to NOVA and it solved successfully. Dropbox - Error
This log shows a funky location for the astrometry endpoint (System.Collections.Specialized.StringCollection).

Joel, I hate to say it but I think that is the wrong log. The log should contain the string “Astrometry.NET using endpoint” for solves with either nova or ansvr.

“settingAstrometryNetEndpointList = System.Collections.Specialized.StringCollection” is a red herring.

Andy

OK I repeated the procedure: open SGP, open image, try to solve using local astrometry (fail), switch to nova, solve (success), close SGP. This is the resulting SGP log:

Ok, thanks. Now that log shows failure to connect to ansvr:

[1/16/2015 2:53:11 PM] [DEBUG] [Unknown] Exception in Astrometry.NET Solver: Unable to connect to the remote server

That means either:

1. ansvr is not running. Can you see http://127.0.0.1:8080/api/settings in your browser?
  2. something is blocking SGP from connecting … perhaps a windows “security” thing like a firewall setting?

Andy

I cannot see the ansvr settings and haven’t been able to since this started. I do not believe any firewall etc. is blocking. I have been using ansvr happily for months on this machine. The other day when you asked for the ansvr log I went to the log folder and deleted all the log files (only) that were there, thinking that I would give you a fresh log. That’s when the problem started. I restored the logs but the problem persists.

Perhaps it’s best if I totally uninstall and re-install?

BTW thanks so much for troubleshooting this with me.

Joel, no problem.

Ok, it sounds like ansvr is not running. We should confirm that for sure by opening Windows Task Manager, go to the Processes tab, and click the heading of the Image Name column (to sort by image name) and look for perl.exe.
Assuming you do not find it please do the following:

In Windows explorer, browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Astrometry.net Local Solver
In there you should see an icon cygwin.bat. Open that that to get a cygwin terminal window. Paste the following command into the terminal and hit enter, then post the output of the command.

/opt/ansvr/ansvr -d

Andy

Here you go…

Joel@Joel-PC ~
$ /opt/ansvr/ansvr -d
[2015-01-16 16:57:42] ansvr 0.15 start
[2015-01-16 16:57:42] loading config from /var/tmp/platesolve/config
[2015-01-16 16:57:42] read port 8080 from reg
[2015-01-16 16:57:42] using scale error override value 5 percent
[2015-01-16 16:57:42] using downsample 2
[2015-01-16 16:57:42] solution coordinates will use epoch J2000
[2015-01-16 16:57:42] saving config to /var/tmp/platesolve/config
[2015-01-16 16:57:42] [Server /opt/ansvr/ansvr accepting clients on port 8080]

ok, so it started in the cygwin terminal without any error. you can confirm it is running by looking at http://127.0.0.1:8080/api/config

After confirming that you see the ansvr settings, let’s close the cygwin terminal window so we can pursue the question of why ansvr did it not start automatically.

Do you have an ansvr icon in Start Menu => Startup ?

Andy

Hmmm…my computer went to sleep. When I woke it up I could NOT get to the ansvr settings page. I repeated the cygwin terminal command and then I could get to the settings page. If I close the cygwin terminal I cannot get to the settings page. (the computer will not fall asleep now!)

Yes, there is an ansvr icon in the startup folder.

Closing the window also closes the debug cygwin, so that all makes sense. I think the remaining question is why the startup icon did not work. To diagnose that we should do the following:
open a cmd window: start menu, type cmd.exe, hit enter
Paste the following into the window:

cd "\Program Files (x86)\Astrometry.net Local Solver"
.\start_ansvr.bat

You may not see any output, that’s ok. But if you do see anything, please post it.
Next, check if ansvr started (try the settings page), and check for any new ansvr log files (if any, please post).

Thanks for your patience…
Andy

Here’s what I get in the cmd prompt:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Joel>cd “\Program Files (x86)\Astrometry.net Local Solver”

C:\Program Files (x86)\Astrometry.net Local Solver>.\start_ansvr.bat
0 [main] perl 18696 child_info_fork::abort: address space needed by ‘XS.dl
l’ (0x760000) is already occupied
can’t fork: Resource temporarily unavailable at /opt/ansvr/ansvr line 923.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Astrometry.net Local Solver>

ansvr did not start.

It looks like a new log file was created but there is nothing in it. The timestamp on the log is correct.

Ok, never seen or heard of that before, but at least we have reached the root of the problem. I need to go ask the google…

… and the google says it’s most likely an anti-virus program interfering with cygwin.

Please check if you are running any of these or similar:

https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.bloda

Try disabling them if you can.

Andy

This is getting weird.

I use AVG antivirus, which is not on the interference list. However I noticed that Nvidia GeForce was listed (which I have). Normally Nvidia GeForce is running in the taskbar but I noticed that it wasn’t. So I restarted the computer and Nvidia showed up as normal. Now I can access ansvr settings at 127.0.0.1 so it appears ansvr started. (BTW, I restarted the computer multiple times before we started trouble shooting so I’m not sure what changed this time).

However there is still a problem. Here’s the ansvr log which is the same as what I see in the log window while trying to solve.

Images do seem to solve but I can’t tell if they are solving on local or nova.