M13 / NGC 6905 w/C8 EdgeHD, ASI1600MCC


Shot over a couple of nights with my new C8 EdgeHD, .7x FR, IDAS and the ASI1600MCC.

I blew out HD150998 and HD150679 just a bit. The first round of test images was done at 300 seconds and both of these were overcooked. I reduced down to 240 hoping for the best, but probably could have reduced the exposure time even slightly more.


Looking for feedback on this as this is the first full set of Bias, Darks, Flats with this scope / camera combination, SGP and the ZWO ASCOM Driver. Also looking for feedback on the final processing here too.


It is certainly the season for M13 - I’m processing mine now. I think your exposures are pretty good. You have got really nice star color.
Can you go back add more? It will give a lot more extent to the cluster - I took 150 5-minute LRGB exposures and the cluster grows considerably, but with the RC10 - the big ones then are starting to become cotton wool blobs.



Thanks for the feedback. Here’s a revision that attempted to bring out the center stars further than the original.



Looks great - compared to the overexposed center I was getting with 5 min subs. I never got back to trying some shorter subs…but you have given me a reason to do so. :smiley:


this is my attempt - you see what I mean about the bloating on the big stars. It is too much for deconvolution to fix.


Yes. There was a good thread on shooting globs on Cloudynights the last few days: http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/541472-globular-clusters-revealing-faint-stars-vs-resolving-the-core/

The concensus appears to be short exposures and lots of them. Makes sense. When I shot my original M13 @ 900mm SW100ED Pro (my first AP photo ever) I used 120 seconds @ ISO1600 using my T5i. So given that I and the IDAS filter I figured 240 seconds, but probably could have done 180 and been fine with the ASI1600MCC.


Hi Buzz,
Nothing wrong with that image. Wish mine came out that well.