M13 / NGC 6905 w/C8 EdgeHD, ASI1600MCC

Shot over a couple of nights with my new C8 EdgeHD, .7x FR, IDAS and the ASI1600MCC.

I blew out HD150998 and HD150679 just a bit. The first round of test images was done at 300 seconds and both of these were overcooked. I reduced down to 240 hoping for the best, but probably could have reduced the exposure time even slightly more.

[URL=http://astrob.in/253458/B/][/URL]

Looking for feedback on this as this is the first full set of Bias, Darks, Flats with this scope / camera combination, SGP 2.5.1.16 and the ZWO 1.0.2.9 ASCOM Driver. Also looking for feedback on the final processing here too.

1 Like

It is certainly the season for M13 - I’m processing mine now. I think your exposures are pretty good. You have got really nice star color.
Can you go back add more? It will give a lot more extent to the cluster - I took 150 5-minute LRGB exposures and the cluster grows considerably, but with the RC10 - the big ones then are starting to become cotton wool blobs.

Buzz,

Thanks for the feedback. Here’s a revision that attempted to bring out the center stars further than the original.

[URL=http://astrob.in/253458/D/][/URL]

Looks great - compared to the overexposed center I was getting with 5 min subs. I never got back to trying some shorter subs…but you have given me a reason to do so. :smiley:

this is my attempt - you see what I mean about the bloating on the big stars. It is too much for deconvolution to fix.

Yes. There was a good thread on shooting globs on Cloudynights the last few days: Globular Clusters: Revealing faint stars vs resolving the core - Beginning Deep Sky Imaging - Cloudy Nights

The concensus appears to be short exposures and lots of them. Makes sense. When I shot my original M13 @ 900mm SW100ED Pro (my first AP photo ever) I used 120 seconds @ ISO1600 using my T5i. So given that I and the IDAS filter I figured 240 seconds, but probably could have done 180 and been fine with the ASI1600MCC.

Hi Buzz,
Nothing wrong with that image. Wish mine came out that well.
Mark