Meridian flip Failure..Help!

Well it happened again last night after setting up SGP to flip 10 and 20 minutes past meridian. I will post the logs later but I even tried to connect sgp to the Sky X pro through their ASCOM driver and the Sky x to the mount to no avail…SGP would connect to the Sky X pro but when I tried to start the sequence SGP would inform me that there was no telescope connected and it would end the sequence. It is worth noting that the telescope was always “green” or connected even though I got the no connected end of sequence message. The upshot? No Meridian flip, the rest works great. Thanks for trying and I’m miffed that this would not work on an off the shelf, standard Celestron with Starsense…miffed…

On the phone with Celestron to see if they have an answer…

Celestron’s engineer’s answer to my problem is…for the Celestron C14 Edge HD with the CGE Pro and Starsense to automatically do a Meridian Flip (drum roll please!) I need to buy Maxim DL with ACP!!! LOL!!!, otherwise I have to reselect the target manually…LOL!!! Thank you guys for your help. Best!

Well that’s unfortunate if it’s true. Probably the best and cheapest thing is just to ditch the StarSense and go back to a normal controller. StarSense doesn’t really get you that much from an imaging perspective that we don’t already do better in SGP.

Jared

1 Like

Part of the problem is that the Sync command in the StarSense HC is broken. This shows up if a sync is done after the mount has tracked past the meridian. My experience is that after this the whole positioning system will be broken. I have seen meridian flips go through the wrong pole (South instead of North).

It’s been like this for years, I’ve been promised fixes and told that it was fixed, but it hasn’t been. I had put in a work round and was told that the reason it wasn’t considered important was that no one had reported the problem. So I have removed the work round. It is now up to the users to work with Celestron to get this fixed.

Sorry about this but I’ve got fed up with the lack of support from Celestron over StarSense. There’s a limit to the number of unfulfilled promises I’m prepared to put up with.

Chris

Jared, yes I will go back to the normal hand controller instead of starsense…I figure I can do a auick align and then slew to and center with sgp right? Thank you Chris as well…will report back after I finish the switch. Best!

Hi Chris,

I had an issue last night during the Meridian Flip where SGPro would lock up during the Meridian Flip Sync process. I just recently got a used CGE-Pro and I use the StarSense. I’ve never had this issue with my other mount, CGEM-DX. I’m using the Celestron Telescope Driver (ASCOM) Ver 6.0.5677.17873. Does this version have the Sync workaround or am I now not able to have the mount do a Meridian Flip using SGPro because the workaround is no longer available? Maybe I need to go back to the NS+ hand controller if that is the case.

Regards,
Mark

Exactly the same problem I have Mark…I’ve tried everything and posted everywhere. I just posted on the Sky X Pro forum to see if I can connect sgp to the sky x telescope portion and the sky x directly to the mount…I’m awaiting a response. Celestron although nice people were useless…I will change to the original HC in the next few days and report back. Best!

The issues seem to be different, the TSX issue is that SB have removed sync from their scripting, at least for SB mounts while the issue with Celestron with StarSense if that the scripting command in the StarSense HC doesn’t work properly.

I know it’s a nuisance, and may seem like a waste of time, but PLEASE make a fuss about the StarSense issue with Celestron. While they ignore what their beta testers say they do seem to pay attention to multiple issues raised through support. Ideally get the dealer’s attention. This is what worked with getting them to fix the polar align function in StarSense. The best way to do all this is to hit them where it hurts - by returning StarSense and asking for your money back.

Chris R

Well, last night I removed Starsense and added the standard hand controller and…IT WORKED!. Starsense was the problem all along and frankly now with SGP and a backyard observatory, I don’t need Starsense anymore and I will repurpose it on my back up 8 inch on wheels telescope for planetary work and visual work only, a win, win. Now on to work to try to get SGP to reconnect to PHD2 after the flip which failed last night (I know, I will start another thread and will upload last night’s sgp log…). Thank you all and now on to fix other problems!.