Meridian Flip failure

Maybe try imaging without APCC.

Peter

@topboxman:

Maybe try imaging without APCC.

The version being run is a beta so one could make a case that it might be worthwhile to wait until any issues are worked out. That said, this would be a great test case to make sure APCC works even with a low-powered CPU such as this, so I am hoping AstroGabe will hang in there.

-Ray

Yep, Iā€™m not going anywhere soon. So far, Iā€™m good with planning my meridian flips to occur while Iā€™m still awake :wink:

Next time out, Iā€™ll try the long wait time to see if that helps.

Gabe

Thank you Gabe! Iā€™m planning to release a new build by the end of the weekend. Iā€™m going to try to address this issue in that build.

-Ray

My point was to do process of elimination. If Gabe images without APCC and still has issues, then APCC might not be the culprit.

Peter

Thatā€™s a fair point Peter and worth looking into. Thanks for the suggestion.

Gabe

Well, taking APCC out will not necessarily eliminate APCC, the AP driver, or SGPro, if the problem doesnā€™t happen without APCC, because the interactive timings will have changed, causing the scenario to change. It doesnā€™t necessary identify which component is at fault in the original case. Only if the problem still happens can you 100% eliminate anything (APCC in that case), but it could then it would leave the driver and SGP.

That said, there are at least two APCC problems here. The first I think needs to be solved within APCC:

1. APCCā€™s UI thread appeared to be stalled for a period of time. The obvious solution is to move virtual port return processing into a background thread. It was just very convenient for it to be in a UI thread because it makes it very simple to update UI controls. But doing something in a programmatically simple way doesnā€™t always produce the best user experience.

2. Why did SGP think that the slew was done early? (is there a bug in the AP driver, or was it because of the APCC/driver ā€œUI stallā€?)

-Ray

@AstroGabe,

In case you didnā€™t see it, I sent you a link this morning to a new build of APCC for you to try.

-Ray

by the way, i am running APCC on a low-powered intel stick (atom-based), however, i am not running the current beta. everything seems to have been working fine for a couple of months, though the number of clear nights during that time is maybe 10.

i have at times had the 3d window open all night without any ill effect, apparently.

Thanks Ray, I got it. I may be slow to get back to you about it though since Iā€™ll be out of town the rest of the week starting Tuesday. Hope to get something this weekend. Thanks again!

Gabe

I think the cause might be the newer version since I was running the older APCC version fine before the meridian flip issues. Not sure what version I was running before, but it was probably about 1 month old.

Gabe

OK thanks - i had been thinking about upgrading but it seems i should wait!

Iā€™ve finally had time to check the beta that Ray sent me and am very glad to report that is has solved the meridian flip issue I was having. Great support by Ray!

Gabe