Meridian Flip stops the sequence

Hello everyone,

last night I was imaging and I had a issue during the meridian flip - I was acquiring on M81 with H-a (900s of exposure time) . I set on SGP to wait for the meridian in case the time of the photo is longer than the time to poerform the meridian flip.
While I was waiting for the Merdian Flip (I had to wait about 11 mins), SGP aborted the sequence automatically - luckly I was looking at it and I was able to stop and resume the sequence but after some seconds, SGP again aborted the sequence. I continued until SGP was able to perform the meridian flip and then everything was fine.

Someone had the same my situation? Thanks in advance for your help!

here is the log file: Dropbox - File Deleted

Francesco

Can someone help, please?

Thanks

I don’t see anywhere in the log that SGP attempted to do a meridian flip. Was the flip initiated by your telescope driver or maybe TheSky?

Thank you,
Jared

Thanks for yout reply, Jared.
No, the Meridian Flip was not initiated by anyone.
In SGP I set the option “Wait for Meridian” - What happened is this: since the time to meridian flip was less than the time to take a photo, SGP had to wait to attend the meridian flip. During this wait, SGP aborted the sequence.
I want to post this log file, too. It is from yesterday night.
(The meridian flip was supposed to be at 23:55)

I am going to try again tonight. I have re-installed the ASCOM file for TheSkyX and so I will update you here - I have installed the “ASCOM 2X Mount Adaptor”, while instead, before, I have installed only “The Sky Telescope Driver Setup”.

Thank you,

Francesco

Hello,

I have just tried the meridian flip on M100 and I am still having an issue.

I thought I could make a video, so you can see better what is happening;

Link to the video: Dropbox - File Deleted

Francesco

Hi Francesco. Have you set and checked any mount limits? What mount are you using as if using EQMOD and your limits are switched on but not set correctly this can happen.

Hi Ray! Thanks for your reply.
I am using a Paramount MyT. I did not use any limits on it regarding meridian flip.

I was looking better a couple of minutes ago and I have found the option “Flip Hours Angle” in TheSkyX; this features is related to the meridian flip and allows you do perform the meridian flip before or after the real meridian. (For example: the value -0.300000 allows you to perform the meridian flip before the real one; the value 0.000000 matched with the real meridian etc…)

Now, I have just set this value a little before than the Meridian (I have set -0.3 as it is the deault value) and so, in this way, TheSkyX will perform or, let SGP performing, the Meridian Flip before the real meridian. (I do not remeber how was set before).
If the hour angle is set after the real meridian, this means that TheSkyX waits more time to do the meridian flip.
I think this can explain my video and my problem; if the hour angle was set after the real meridian, this explain why SGP was saying that the sequence was aborted.
I think that maybe this can be what I was looking for, but am not sure; I have to try tonight and then I will let you know there.
Sorry if maybe I was not clear but I try to explain as weel as I can.

I want to add this:
[04/16/20 23:52:41.090][DEBUG][Sequence Thread][SQ;] Presenting wait for meridian dialog…
[04/16/20 23:52:54.185][DEBUG][Main Thread][SQ;] FlipWait: ending wait due to telescope parked or not tracking…
[04/16/20 23:52:54.620][DEBUG][Sequence Thread][SQ;] Aborting sequence: User aborted meridian flip

This is what I found on the log when SGP tried to perform the meridian flip yesterday - It is strange that it says that the telescope was parked or not tracking - I do not know if this can be linked to the hours angle of the meridian flip.

I hope to find the solution tonight and I hope this can be helpful for someone else!

Francesco - I regularly use automated meridian flips with a Paramount MX for unattended imaging.

There are three things to consider.

1. Flip hour angle (P125 of GEM user guide); I drag mine so that it lies exactly on the meridian. If it does not, I have had some instances where a meridian flip does not occur
  2. Software slew limit (P164 of GEM user guide); This sets a software limit which is more aggressive than the hardware slew limit built into the Paramount. I set mine to +/- 40 min hour angle, which is safe for my most challenging optical configuration.
  3. SGP - meridian flip setting in setup tab- I set mine to 15 mins past meridian. Since my longest exposure is always 20 mins, there is no danger of accidentally hitting the buffers in TSX

Hello buzz,

thanks for your detailed reply.

• So, I set Flip Hour Angle to 0, in such way it matches perfectly with the Merdian;
  • I will set the Software Slew Limit based on my configuration as you did.
  • I set to 2 mins past the meridian - When I do RGB my longest expsure is 4 mins - differently for NB obviusly.
    I have set “Wait for Meridian”, too. and I have the issue when SGP waits for the meridian. I posted a video in 2 previous replies…

I really appreciate your help; thanks a lot! I will try in 5 hours (as soon as it becomes dark outiside) to attempt the meridian flip during a sequence and I will let you know… I hope it remains clear for 2/3 hours to test…

I would like to update everyone;
I have followed the buzz’s advice (I set Flip Hour Angle to 0) and then I left all my settings on SGP (like “Wait for Meridian”) but nothing happened. I did not solve my problem.
By looking to the log file, I can read the same thing I have posted 2 replies before.
It happens always the same thing (as in the video I have posted) - SGP, while is waiting for the meridian flip, checks the autoguide and after some seconds it stops the sequence. Since from the log it says that the mount is parked or stop tracking, can be a problem related to the setting of the Ascom Driver of TheSkyX? I want to post my driver setting.

driver setting theskyx

I have no idea what it can be…Thank you so much in advance for all your help

The MX+ (all Paramounts) should have the “Use DirectGuide” box checked instead of “Enable Pulse Guide”.
Not sure if that will correct you flip issue or not.

Thank you Steve, I will try again using “Use Direct Guide” - and then I will let you know.

Thanks

I want to update you with a good news: everything works fine now!
First of all I want to thank you all of you for your help… The problem was in the ASCOM driver set up; as buzz and Steve suggest, with Paramount Mounts, “Use Direct Guide” must be used.
Indeed this explains why in the SGP’s log file it was written that the mount was not tracking or was parked - There was no communication between SGP and PHD2 in the moment in which SGP was waiting for the meridian flip -

Thank you again for all your help,

Clear Skies,

Francesco

I’m not sure this is correct. I will need to check this out. I wonder if this is just a coincidence as I am struggling to see how the PHD2 settings would cause a failed flip (other than a guider settling issue after the flip).

While I do use DirectGuide, when I first had my MX I’m sure I tried ST4/Pulse and Directguide, to compare guiding performance. The mount worked with all three - though I would need to check whether the reverse DEC setting should be set or not in each case.

It is something to nail down - so I will recalibrate with pulseguide and try on my MX on the next clear night.