just to try to help anyone else who may I have this problem - i have solved it.
Windows in it’s wisdom seemed to find its own driver for the microtouch and installed it without user input. I guess that’s why it didn’t work with SGP…
I like to try to control variables, simply because if you don’t, you won’t know what fixed the problem. Sadly in this case, I had twenty minutes before i had to get into the car for a family outing, so didn’t do the scientific approach. Here’s what I did:
boot the machine and check that the focuser worked still with the starizona software.
from control panel, uninstall the usbdriver and the microtouch software.
disconnect the microtouch
turn off user account control (control panel> user accounts> change user account control settings> move the slider down to the bottom)
insert the starizona software cd
double click the microtouch program setup to install it
double click the usbdriver to install it
connect the microtouch - this is where i noticed windows installing the driver from an internet source - windows website I guess.
i decided to reinstall the specific .inf driver file supplied on the starizona cd, so from windows device manager, found the microtouch in the USB section and removed driver - replaced with ‘have disk’ and browsed to the .inf file on the cd.
quickly started sgp and checked - it connected fine.
as to why this happened in the 1st place i have no idea. I don’t go around randomly changing software or drivers…
hope it helps - i think probably the key bit of the above is replacing the driver with ‘have disk’ and browsing to the .inf file supplied by Starizona.