Minimum exposure time?

Is the minimum exposure time determined by camera ascom driver or within SGP itself? If within SGP, what is the minimum exposure?

I intend to create a sequence to try and image the solar eclipse with my Nikon D5300, and as such the exposures will need to be extremely short. I’ve never used such short exposures in SGP before…

It’s up to the camera. For Canon we almost always send a bulb exposure and
time it. Not great for very short exposures but for anything over 1 second
that is just fine. I can’t recall if that’s the case for Nikon or not. I’d
have to check.

Jared Wellman
– Co-Founder and Developer
www.mainsequencesoftware.com

I don’t know my way around the Nikon camera very well, but in some tests it
looks to me like SGP sends the bulb exposure as you describe. Hopefully in
the next couple of days I’ll be able to do a full test run of the sequence
and see how the short exposures turn out.

It looks like SGP is only letting me go down to 0.001s. According to the exposure calculators I’m using I may need 1/8000s
(0.000125) and 1/4000s exposures (0.00025) etc. Any chance the decimal place for the exposure could be changed?

Yes, I’m having the same problem. I have a Nikon D5300, and I can’t take my bias frames with SGP, since it doesn’t allow any exposure time shorter than 1/1000s. I need to also be at 1/4000s or 0.00025s. It would be a shame to have to go back to Backyard Nikon just for my bias frames. Is there any way this could be fixed in a future release?
Thanks,
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

there is no mesurable difference between a master bias taken at 1/1000 and another one taken at 1/4000sec. Actually there is no differene even at 1/100sec and I suspect you would have a hard time measuring the difference if you go as slow as 1sec.

An easy test: create the two masters and do (100 + Master1 - Master2) in Pixinsight.

Kind regards,
Horia

Better use (0.100 + Master1 - Master2) for that test.

Bernd

Oops! Thank you Bernd. I was thinking in ADUs.

Horia