Mouse Wheel 'Disable' in Sequence

Is there a way of disabling the impact of the mouse wheel in the Sequencer menus? If I hover the mouse over one of the menu items (Type, Filter, Exposure, etcetera) and move the wheel, then I scroll through the various options. Sometimes I end up doing this inadvertently, and find that I have changed the option without meaning to. There have been a number of times now when I have shot a run of subs at the wrong exposure length because of this. Last night, I ended up shooting two sets of Blue exposures because I must have inadvertently ‘mouse-wheeled’ over the ‘Red’ filter.

Maybe this is happening because I am operating the PC remotely via an occasionally laggy connection. Or perhaps I’m just an old codger. But I do wonder if it might not be better to have these options ‘baked in’ a bit more than they are at present. If they could only be changed by using the drop down menu, then this would stop happening to me.

Do other folks like the ability to change these options using the mouse wheel?

I agree. This has been a source of (bad) surprise for me as well. Once I wanted to increase the ‘Repeat’ value for an event by inputting the new value via keyboard. However, inadvertently I changed the value to 1 with the mouse wheel afterwards, resulting in termination of the sequence…

+1

Bernd

You can always disable the wheel e.g. https://www.keepthetech.com/2016/11/disable-scroll-wheel-in-windows10.html

True, but I use the wheel all the time in Windows. So that would not be an ideal solution.

I guess it would be possible, but would have to be done “per-control” and would take a bunch of time. We’ll think about it. Or maybe it’s possible to identify a subset of controls that are more vulnerable to this issue because of their proximity to other things that use the wheel.

1 Like

@Ken

I agree with this, many times I have used the scroll wheel on the mouse and inadvertantly changed something in the sequence as I use multiple monitors too.

Something else I have noticed, when pressing the key to tab through the sequence settings, they all “Select” the whole field, except for exposure time, which doesn’t select the whole field and places the cursor at the beginning of the field instead

So for
Suffix, the cursor is at the beginning of the field
Exposure, the cursor is at the beginning of the field
Repeat, the cursor selects the whole field

I would prefer the last one on all textable fields

Possible thread hijack here, but I prefer the current default cursor position for the exposure edit box. I may be wrong but I assume the vast majority of users use exposure times divisible by 10 (30, 60, 120, 240, 600, etc) so it’s a convenient shortcut to only have to enter say “36” instead of “360” for each event in the sequence. YMMV.