New laptop, SGP won't start up - keeps looking for updates

I have bought a second laptop to manage my Obs. Have it set up identically to my personal laptop, same everything. Have downloaded SGPro but everytime I start it up I get an unhandled exception; SGP won’t stop looking for updates and won’t open up. If I click ignore it starts up but my equipment doesn’t populate in the equipment lists so that I cannot connect my hardware. All the equipment works perfectly on my personal laptop.

I guess I have got a setting wrong somewhere; can any body help?

Gus

Further to my last entry, I have just tried downloading the previous version, 2.6.0.16 and it has burst into life, all lists properly populated and no apparent issues. Suggests it might be a bug in the latest issue.

Gus

Gus - what OS are you using. In one of the updates recently there was a change to the installer - I recall it asks to de-install SGP before installing again. It might be worth searching for the thread, if only to discount it. From the various forum entries, it appears that most are using Win 7 or Win 10 with a few Win 8. SGP loads fine on my Win 7 and Win 10 computers. There are a few forum entires from some who updated to the very latest Win 10 version causing some issues with operation.

Hi Buzz,

Thanks. I am on Windows 10Pro on both the new and the old laptop.

When I went back to 2.6.0.16 on the new machine it ran first time without any issues. Then, when I ran it the second time it refused, with the same issues that 2.6.0.17 had previously. I ran the MS compatibility trouble-shooter. In the course of that check I set Windows 8 as the last known trouble-free run (even though SGP has been running perfectly on Win10Pro on the old machine) and since then 2.6.0.16 has run consistently trouble-free. I have just gone on the website and upgraded again to 2.6.0.17 and there are no issues - runs perfectly.

So I think it must be something to do with the way W10 is set up on the new laptop. The old machine has W10pro with SGP 2.6.0.17 running fine and now the new machine has W10Pro with SGP 2.6.0.17 running fine (but with W8 settings).

Gus

@Final_Director

Seems like the settings file for 2.6.0.17 might be corrupt. You can try to run SGPro from the command line like this:

“Sequence Generator.exe” /recover

Thanks. I thought I had sorted this out by running the Windows Compatibility trouble shooter but this evening it is giving me trouble again. It won’t allow me to change the Properties of Per’s 10 Micron driver such that the IP address is now incorrect and I cannot therefore connect to the mount through SGPro but I can connect to it using Stellarium. Nor will it recognise the official 10 Micron driver: “Uncaught exception thrown by method called through Refelction (Exception from HRESULT:0x80131604).”

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing everything, no change. My old laptop is running everything spot on.

Gus

Each time I uninstall and re-install SGPro it retains the old (and wrong) ip address in the drop-down menu for the mount driver - even if I uninstalled that too. I guess this means there must be a file somewhere that stores that information and just repopulates it into the new instance of the Driver? Anybody know how I can delete that file so I get a completely fresh re-installation of the Driver without the out-of-date ip address?

Gus

@Final_Director

OK, let’s try a complete reset of SGPro.

• Open SGPro and go to the Help menu
  • Click on “Open Log Folder”
  • In the Windows File Explorer, note the name of the folder you are in and then navigate “up” one folder
  • Close SGPro
  • Rename the folder to something else
  • Restart SGPro… all your settings should have returned to their default values.

Thanks Ken, all sorted.

Gus

@Ken - this might be a useful sticky note?

Possibly… this is supposed to happen automatically when one runs:

"Sequence Generator.exe" /reset

or

"Sequence Generator.exe" /recover

And I think that it would be best to figure out why it doesn’t (since the steps above are pretty hacky).