New User -- Focus and Alignment Stars

Newbie here… in my existing manual workflow I first slew to a bright star with either the Gemini hand controller or through CdC. This gives me something to focus on and sych my pointing model.

One transition problem I am having is how to migrate this process into SGP? I can find a bright star in framing wizard but don’t see any way to get the scope to slew to it unless I generate a sequence for it – then how do I manually adjust focus? Once past this initial setup the rest seems clear. So curious as to how this should be done.

Thanks for any advice.

greg latiak

Hi Greg,

Since you are new to SGPro so I’m not sure if you have everything setup up in SGPro using the Equipment Profile Manger" but that might be the first place to start to ensure you have all of your equipment properly configured for SGPro using the Equipment Profile Manager. This can be found under the “Tools” Menu. Also you’ll need to have the Plate Solver configured if you’re wanting to do a sync with SGPro.

Here’s my workflow for how I get things going and focused. Your workflow will be different depending on the mount you use and the other equipment/software you use but this might give you an idea on where to start.

1. Power up computer, Mount, Focuser, Rotator and Cameras - Guide and Image cameras
  2. Start NexRemote and do a “Quick” align. No need for a model. With a good polar alignment let SGPro do the go to and sync.
  3. Do Polar Alignment if needed. I used QHY Polemaster
  4. Start SGPro and select either a sequence that will be used for that night or simply apply the correct “Equipment Profile” that matches the equipment. This apply equipment profile can be found under the “File” menu.
  5. Start Stellarium Scope and Stellarium, (Planetarium). You use CdC so however that works and connects to your mount.
  6. Use planetarium to move the mount to some location that can be used for a focus run and sync. OR, if I have the sequence loaded in SGPro, I tell SGPro to slew the mount to the location. Since the mount is not Sync yet most likely you’ll be off target to some degree. That all depends on the mount but not an issue since you’ll most likely be doing a Sync later and when the sequence starts with a “Slew to and Center on”.
  7. Do a focus run. Remember if you’re too far out of focus to start, the focus run may fail.
  8. Typically I do two back to back focus runs.
  9. After the focus run is complete. Let SGPro do a solve and sync. this can be found in the “Control Panel” under the Plate Solve called “Solve & Sync”.
  10. Once the mount is Sync’ed if needed I do a PHD2 calibration. I do the Sync before I do the PHD2 calibration so PHD2 know where the mount is.
  11. After the above steps are complete, I’m ready to kick off the sequence.

I hope this helps you. SGPro does a lot and there is a lot to learn.

Regards,
Mark

Greg,

I misread your post. you want to do a Manual focus within SGPro. Sorry but I’m not sure of the best way to do that within SGPro. The only thing I can think of is to run the Frame and Focus looping about once every 1 or 2 seconds and turn on the “Calculate HFR” and try to get the HFR number as low as possible. Maybe someone will have a better idea on how to do a manual focus within SGPro. otherwise you might have to do your manual focus outside of SGPro.

Mark

Thanks, Mark.

I use a mask for focusing, curious as to whether the SGP focusing routine will improve on that. Your workflow comments were helpful.

Clear skies.

greg

You’ll want to use the manual focus targets for this. Slew to the bright star with your hand controller. In SGP go to the control panel and click “Set” on the Focus Target marker. Use whatever focus triggers you want and SGP will pause the sequence when that trigger is hit. Then click the “Go” next to the Focus Target marker to slew to the star, focus, then return back to your target by clicking the “Go” option for the target marker (I honestly can’t recall if Auto Center will just work here or not.)

http://www.mainsequencesoftware.com/Content/SGPHelp/SettingFocusandTargetPositions.html

http://www.mainsequencesoftware.com/Content/SGPHelp/ManualFocusingReminders.html

Thanks,
Jared

When I begin a run I simply slew the scope up to 55 degrees altitude or more (unparked, tracking from Park 4). I then take a frame and focus. If I have donuts I work the focus unit until I have a “good enough” focus. Then I use the SGP autofocus routine. Works every time given a half-way decent star field. If not, slew a bit and try another FOV. Make sure you have temp compensation off (ir you have it) for the rough alignment and then turn it back on before using the focus routine (that routine that make the nice “V”).

Ed