NexDome and SGP: normal behavior?

New User here:
So I finally got my rotation kit working(thats a another story in itself) and got it connected to SGP.

Just wondering if this is normal behavior:

When I slew the mount, the mount slews, finishes, then the dome rotates. Is this normal? Or is the dome supposed to rotate along with the mount?

Thank you in advance

I have Pulsar dome and if I send scope to a target using solarium same happens. However if a run a sequence then both the mount and dome move together. I am having trouble when parking to home but no doubt will overcome at some point.

1 Like

Hi @mcaustin2004
I think this would be a function of the dome’s driver. My Exploradome (Foster Control) provides the option for dome to slew with mount, or for it to wait until the mount is finished slewing.

By the way, I’d be curious to learn more about your experiences with the Nexdome. Any chance you have posted details on another forum? Are you going to look into automating the shutter (I don’t believe the vendor currently has kit for this)?

DaveNL

1 Like

It depends. If you’re slaving the dome to the scope inside of SGP then slewing the scope should also slew the dome at the same time (provided that SGP issues the slew). If you’re using a 3rd party program, or the dome driver, to slave then the dome will likely lag the scope.

Thanks,
Jared

Yes I have some threads on CloudyNights.com
Search my id mcaustin2004

As for the shutter kit, I’d like to automate it but not sure how it will attach. I don’t think I’ll go with the ND solution. I have the components to make the controller, just need to find the track to open it.

I’m trying to get all the nexdome folks on a user group on facebook. Go there by clicking here.

several members and setups posted, lots of photos I’m currently working on the rotator. I had it tracking (slave) for one night. It kinda alternated with scope. As scope would slew, the dome would move and align, then stop and wait for the scope to slew more. didn’t bother me. figured it might be a multi-tasking thing. Well I think the software polls the position of the scope every 9 seconds. So it probably looks at it’s position then dome rotates to that point, even though the scope may still be slewing. I think you can change that… Anyway it’s not a problem - functionally. And yes seems to be normal. (that was the convern).

My problem is port communication problem. Time out errors. = (

Solved those time out errors with driver update. Now I have added the shutter motor system. Some problems with it clashing with the dome rotator. Not sure if it’s the ascom driver or SGP or what.
Rotator works fine if shutter is not powered. If I power up the dome rotator will move once then not again. If I unplug the shutter motor system the rotator works fine.

Also status reports for SGP “control panel / other” are different status read outs than the “nexdome settings” tape under obsy in the control panel. The ASCOM/setup status read outs are different.

Example. SGP control panel says
az: 133.90
Shutter: Closed

Click settings on control panel and a window opens called NexDome ASCOME Setup…
This reads.

az: 132.3 (close enough)
Shutter: NOT CONNECTED <-----???
Dome status “Finding home” <-----??? (it’s at home already)

Actually it’s homed, shutter is connected and closed. So I think my problems are a
conflict between SGP and ASCOM ?