Nikon D5200 - anyone having success?

I have been using SGP with great success for over a year with a Nikon D600 and SBIG SST-8300M. However, my Nikon D5200 always crashes SGP when it tries to download an image (most of the time). Occasionally it will download an image or 2, but always quickly crashes.
I have been using ControlMyNikon to take images with the D5200, but would love to be able to use SGP. All D5200 functionality works perfectly under ControlMyNikon, so I think my camera is wholesome.
Any ideas what might be causing this behavior? I have removed the memory card as suggested for Nikon cameras.

I have very similar experience with my D7000:

• can connect (but have to remove the SD card)
  • can take images, but hangs (doesn’t crash) when downloading

Works perfectly in ControlMyNikon.

:frowning:

I’ll test it out this evening and see if I can duplicate with my D5200.

Thanks,
Jared

I said crashed, but that’s not accurate. Like your D7000, my D5200 hangs (not crash) when downloading.

Everything seems to be working ok with my D5100.

Which unfortunately means I’m going to need the logs so I can see what’s happening.

Thanks,
Jared

Since the OP indicates that his D5200 hasn’t worked for a year, I’m assuming this isn’t an issue with the Beta. I haven’t had time to test the beta but my D5100 has had this problem in the past. It has always turned out to be a problem with the DSUSB cable. mstriebeck you should try an image under 30 seconds and one over 30 seconds. If the one under 30 seconds works but the other doesn’t - its almost definitely the cable. I’m not sure if the D5200 needs a special cable so I can’t comment.

Probably not related but I found an issue whilst using BYN previously with my D5300 that meant that it could only download images if the camera was set to 12 bit RAW not 14 bit and also the SD card if inserted must only contain a few photos at most.

See what happens if you try 12 bit.

I’ve experienced this too. It happens if you have “image history” enabled. Try unchecking the image history and see if that does it.

Good catch! It seems like (especially if you’re testing in daylight) that this could cause issues. Testing with the D5100 this does work but it takes a good deal longer for the image to show up as we’re calculating metrics on it. If this is a daylight image there are no stars and the with the huge number of pixels that the D5200 has it’s not surprising that it’s taking even longer or maybe even timing out.

If image history is disabled doe this work for others during daylight? What about at night?

Thanks,
Jared

I’ve only ever done this at night, but any pics I take with the image history on cause this behavior. It just sits and fumes and then I get the dreaded windows prompt that the program is no longer responding. If I turn image history off, the program works flawlessly.

Don’t worry, make sure that you are using latest and non corrupted firmware file. Reset you camera then try to run SGP on it.Also in Nikon D5200 Manual you will find various methods to repair this error. Foolowing are some tips that need to check before sending a digital camera for repair
Low batteries – a camera may not function properly when batteries a low. Insert a fully charged set to see if things improve.
Camera controls – it’s easy to inadvertently hit the wrong button or change a menu. Check your settings.
Full memory card – when a memory card is full, a digital camera may not turn on.
Reset the camera – reset either via a menu or by removing the batteries for about 24 hours.
Do a hard reset – if resetting the camera doesn’t solve the problem, do a hard reset. How to do a hard reset varies between cameras, so contact the manufacturers tech support.