Notification setup - epic fail!

Okay, I’m pretty frustrated. I’m simply trying to set up notifications via email and I’ve scoured these forums with no success. I’ve entered in all of my information using a gmail account set up exclusively for SGP, I have the SMTP User email, password, server (smtp.gmail.com) and port setup correctly (tried 465 and 587) and I cannot get this to work. I get the same message each time “Failure sending mail”. I’ve gone into the account at gmail and turned on access for less secure apps. No go. I’ve checked windows firewall and made sure SGP was allowed access through. No go.

Help!
Destin

@Destin_Heilman

You may want to have a look here:

Not sure if this is your issue, but it could be…

We need to implement this connection as OAuth 2.0… it’s on the list of things to do.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the quick reply. I’m pretty sure that’s not my issue - I’m not getting a message from gmail and i’ve already turned on access for insecure apps. This account is only for SGP.

Would it be worth it for me to sign up for another type of free account (yahoo or something)? Do you think this is a Google specific issue?

Destin

UPDATE: I tried a couple of other email accounts and no go.

We use gmail for our testing so we know that it can work with the notification system. There are other issues that can block these requests (between your machine and the actual smtp server… like your ISP). If you have a cell phone and a carrier that supports this you might try to bypass your own network and connect to the cellphone’s “hot spot” to see if it suddenly starts working… it’s not the answer, but might give you a direction.

UPDATE: Ken, I tried your suggestion and it worked!! After getting the email to go through I made a small tweak two my router settings and all is well. Thanks so much for the excellent support!

BTW - Just made it through my first auto meridian flip - what a thing of beauty :wink:

Best,
Destin

Excellent… glad you got it working.