Orion Starshoot G3 Color Compatibility

Hi, after 3 evenings of getting nowhere I’m tearing my hair out (and I don’t have much).

I’ve been using SGPro for the last couple of weeks to capture images and it has all seemed really good (unlike the Orion software which is very buggy). This week I decided to start processing my images with Deep Sky Stacker and that is where my problems started. Unfortunately it seem impossible to convert the .fit images to colour. I’ve tried Deep Sky Stacker, Nebulosity, Fitswork and the original Orion Camera Studio. The Orion Studio did manage to create colour images but they where pixelated low res and crashed the software if I tried to calibrate darks or stack. With the other applications I tried EVERY combination of bayer patterns, offsets and all other settings but have been unable to get any colour output. After extensive Googling I have found a number of posts saying that this camera won’t work properly with SGPro (SOLD!: Orion Starshoot G3 (one shot color), deep space imaging camera. – Central Arkansas Astronomical Society) does anybody have any ideas how to make this work please?

I can’t help you with your stacking issue but I’m quite certain it has nothing to do with SGP. SGP is just collecting monochrome images and has no idea about the bayer matrix of the image. It’s just copying monochrome pixels.
Focus your efforts on the processing that is assuming the camera does not have a problem.

Hi
I’m not sure who posted the info about the Orion G3 not working with SGP.

This is certainly not the case for me, I’ve used the G3 with SGP for years. That said
here’s a little help in getting the colors in the ballpark. In Nebulosity, when you get to
the debayer step, the program will ask you if you want to use RGB or CMYG. Choose
CMYG and enter this matrix into the adjacent table.

1.06 0.29 -0.41
-0.41 1.06 0.54
0.54 -0.41 1.11

This by the way, is from the manual, in case you missed it :slight_smile:

Of all the programs I’ve tried with the G3, SGP has been the most reliable !!

Good Luck

Regards Tom