PHD2 and SGPro cannot Share the Meade LX200 Classic ASCOM Driver?

Hello! I am having difficulty connecting PHD2 to the Meade ASCOM driver once SGPro connects to the scope with that driver.

I have in 8"LX200 classic. I downloaded the ASCOM “Meade LX200 Classic and Autostar #494, #495, and #497 (combined telescope/focuser, 5.0.4)” and SGPro connects fine.

I started PHD2. It connected my ST-i and on-camera mount (the LX200 only has one RS-232 port used by the scope/computer). For Aux Mount, I selected the same driver as for SGPro and enabled the PHD2 server. However, PHD2 could not create an instance of the driver. I presume since SGP was using it?

Anyway, since this is used only for scope coordinates to enable PHD2 to adjust guiding based on scope pointing, I was wondering what ASCOM driver folks used with PHD2 Aux mount when the primary driver is used by SGP?

It looks like POSH, Meade Universal Driver Project (June 2014), or, perhaps, generic ASCOM Hub?

Or is there some other setup I should do in order to allow SGP and PHD2 to share the Meade ASCOM driver?

Thank you for your help and best regards.

Mike

1 Like

Mike,

I see that Bruce already responded to your post in the PHD2 forum but I will repeat his response in case anyone else is looking for the answer here in the future.

The Meade ASCOM driver cannot allow more than one application to connect at once, but the ASCOM POTH driver solves that problem.

In all the applications you select ASCOM POTH for the mount (SGP, PHD2, Planetarium app, whatever). Connect POTH to the Meade ASCOM driver. Everything connects to POTH, and nothing but POTH uses the mount ASCOM driver. POTH acts as the intermediary between the applications and the Meade ASCOM driver. That way you get around the single-application limitation of the Meade ASCOM driver.

Thank you!

Mike