PHD2 Settling Question

As I am doing more short-exposure work, I am finding that wasted seconds really add up. The “Dither every X frames” helps a lot, but there is still some time overhead associated with settling - even for frames that are not dithered. So, my question - what is there to settle from, when a frame is not dithered? It seems to me that PHD2 should be completely unaffected from one frame to the next if there is no dithering, and any waiting for the guider to report that it is settled is a waste of time. Am I missing something?

Tim

Auto focus through OAG primarily.

No. We have had intent to make dither and settle smarter for a while now, but have not yet gotten to it.

Sure. I get that, and it makes perfectly good sense. I’m talking about settling between frames when there is no dithering nor AF - just one frame after another while the guider should be happily guiding away completely undisturbed.

Anyway, I’m glad this is on the to-do list. As low-noise, fast-readout sensors become more common and short-exposure imaging becomes more prevalent, any unproductive time between images will become increasingly important to recover.

Thanks.

Tim