Plate Solve Astromety

Good Morning
Try to image last night, I change plate solve to Astromety.net per Jared. The plate solve still failed, I am attaching log file.Also including one image of where my telescope is pointed.
Danasg_logfile_20181012195841.txt (765.7 KB)

Adding Stretched picture

This is a very difficult image to solve. Only a few stars and several hot pixels. You need to expose longer to have a reliable success rate. At least 30 stars visible is advisable.

Han

Han

The image is 300 sec just not stretched attach is stretched image

Dana

Hello Dana,

That looks better.

The online version of Astrometry.net can solve it. See result page at:

http://nova.astrometry.net/user_images/2378594#annotated

Also PlateSolve2 can solve it using the correct settings:

RA: 21h 01m
DEC +67° 59’
Scale 2.28 arcsec/pixel (indicated as 30x22 arcminutes)

For 300 seconds the number of stars is low but I assume you have a long focal length telescope.

The center is strangely lacking some stars but that imaged area seem pretty empty looking to the deep sky survey, so no problem there.

I’m not an expert in SGP. Just a guest interested in plate solving.

Han

Dana,
Can you post the actual FITs? JPEGs are very lossy and not great for solving in most software.

Also if you can keep things on the same thread that will help with history. No need to create a new thread when referencing the same issue.

Thank you,
Jared

Ok I will keep plates solving on this thread. I try to send fits file and want let me send fits file.

Dana

Han
Capturing image with Celeston C8 with Sbig ST 2000 when solve nova astromety I get pixel scale of 1.15 arc second per pixel.

Dana

Dana,

Astrometry.net indicates for the JEPG 2.29 arc seconds. I assume the jpeg was binned 2x2, so your image scale is 1.145 arc seconds.
My experience with PlateSolve2 is that it works more reliable is you set the scale about 1% lower then actual, so at 1.14 or 1.13. arc seconds. You could try that.

What is also important, that the PlateSolve2 window during the solving process should indicate a scale of about 30x22 arcminutes. If not that there is something wrong with SGP settings/binning.

Jared,
I send you a private message 8 days ago. Are they reaching you or are they blocked?

Han

Han,

I binned this image 1 X 1 Plate Solve 2 window reads 31 X 23 arcminutes. Search 999 regions, in the control panel I have set to max regions. When I uploaded image to Nova Astromety the results came back saying images scale of 1.15 arcseconds. So you are recommending that I set image scale on the camera tab 1.14 arcseconds per pixel.

Dana

Yes. My experience is that Platesolve2 works in some case more reliable with a little smaller scale then actual scale. So don’t round up.Your JPEG image solves reliable in PlatSolve2 and it gives the following result:

Pixel size 2.2972"
Plate size 30.63 x 22.97"

So the bin1x1 pixel size is 2.2972"/2=1.1486, so select 1.14"

Back to your problem, is the JPEG you provided now plate solved both in Platesolve2 and blind in Astrometry.net?

Han

Han,

Yes the image is solve in Nova Astrometry.net but not in plate solve 2.
I don’t know how to plate solve my image. If I bring it in sgp thur frame and mosaic it bring up. A different image. Please provide a detailed explanation on how to plates solve I will try.

Dana

Jared,

The forum want let me send a fits file. If you send me an email address I will sent a fits file of image.

Dana

Dana,

I think it is well described in the help file under topic:

Setting up PlateSolve2

and

Plate Solvers

Most people configure PlateSolve2 as the solver under "Settings" and configure Astrometry.NET (as a fall back)  under "Blind Settings".

Try that first

Han

Han,

Yes that is how plate solve 2 is set up.

Dana

HI Dana, I had the same problem with plate solve 2 , I can’t get it to reliably work, so I downloaded the astrometry.net local ,files on my computer, it is the same as the online version, but you have it on your computer, so no Internet needed, and since then I haven’t had a solve fail yet. But you have to download the astrometry. Net files ,it tells you how to in the sgp, help section, I think, but it works great, don’t have to enter any coordinates, just your pixel scale. Shawn

I had the same problem with my 10 inch Meade but my 115mm worked with no problem. I put it down to the narrow field of view of the Meade so it needs a lot more stars. You should try binning 2x2 for platesolve it works for me with my Meade . Start off with 300 sec 2x2 bin . If that works the gradually reduce the time until it won’t plate solve to find the exposure time needed. You could even try 3x3 bin to get the exposure time even shorter

The control panel camera tab. How is the images scale populated. I set image scale to 1.14 then check the setting and it is change to 1.37.

Dana

Regardless of what you manually enter in the image scale field, if you have a successful solve from any source that field will be updated with the correct solve scale.

Joel

Plate solve failed. With error message of image scale off of 25%

Dana