Plate Solve failing in V.3.0.2.82

I loaded V.3.0.2.82 and started a sequence which failed on plate soving in Pinpoint, ANSVR local & remote.
All the settings were as per previous settings, so no change there. I reverted to MaximDL to try Pinpoint and it solved instantly.

Steve

Steve - for info, I was using the same SGP version last night with PinPoint 6. It worked fine for the initial centering and after a meridian flip. The only thing I noticed is the repeating annoyance of the telescope sync mode reverting back to ‘sync’ in all my sequences and equipment profiles (I have asked K&J to look into that on a separate thread)
Having said that - I recall my 10 Micron days and I could get an image that would fail to solve via Per’s model maker, but the same image would solve in MDL, both using PinPoint. There are a lot of variables. If you put the image into the dropbox, I can try and load/solve in my SGP?

Thanks Buzz,

I’ll have a go again tonight. If all fails, it will be faffing around with Maxim again. I’m not going to waste a perfectly good sky tonight.

Steve

Failed again last night. I can get it to solved a downloaded sub outside of the sequence but cannot get plate solving to work at all during sequencing. I understand Sara @swag72 is having similar issues.

Steve

Does the solve fail happen just during a running sequence, or also on open images in SGP?

Have you tried using the included Platesolve2 instead of Pinpoint? I downloaded your image and it solved after 17 seconds with local ANSVR, and instantly with PS2.

I’m not on v3 of SGP…

Hi Joel,

I can get it to plate solve an imported image outside of a sequence, but cannot get it to plate solve any image during a sequence

Steve

Steve, I popped your file into SGP and the blind solver worked as there was no scale specified in the file. The FITS header suggests it was taken with MDL?
I’m imaging M101 too at the moment and I noticed that my FITS files, taken with SGP have the scale in the FITS header.

I don’t know what the problem is, but I’d encourage you to give PlateSolve2 a try with local ANSVR as the backup.

It looks like that image is missing the pixel scale. Maybe Maxim doesn’t populate that and is instead calculating the scale with the focal length and pixel dimensions? Supplying it with the scale (1.1 arcseconds/pixel) the image solves nearly instantly with PinPoint and PlateSolve2.

Can you attach an image that was taken with SGP that isn’t solving? That might have some information to help.

Thanks,
Jared

Hi Jared,

MDL will populate the image when you plate solve it, which obviously I
didn’t. I did have full success sequencing and imaging last night after
reverting to V3.0.1.0

Steve

Hi Jared,

I cannot supply and image as I have now reverted to V3.0.1.0. I will
upgrade to V3.0.2.82 as soon as, and post an image for you to solve. I
cannot understand why I have this issue, all the parameters are inputted
for the camera specifications and I have never had an issue with plate
solving before.

Steve

Hi Jared,
I have installed PlateSolve2 and have solved various images with PlateSolve2, PinPoint, ANSVR local & Remote. And they have all solved. Although PlateSolve2 did take awhile to solve an image of M13.
I have no problem solving images outside of a sequence. I have issues Plate Solving within a sequence.

Steve

Steve - have you checked your camera and telescope settings in the control panel/equipment profile, especially the ones that give image scale information? I just wonder if they got corrupted when you switched SGP versions. (My telescope sync setting does, for instance)

Hi Buzz,

All settings are correct. First thing I checked when I started having solving issues. I was aware Pinpoint settings need to be accurate.

Steve

I’ll run some tests and see if I can duplicate that behavior. Not a lot changed in the plate solving portion between the two. But I’m not discounting it either.

Thanks,
Jared