Plate Solve Failure for Sunflower

Does plate solve fail if the object is already centered and rotated?

After switching from F2.0 to F5.4 I was unable to plate solve the Sunflower galaxy in 4 attempts. Tried another object (maybe M81), failed, back to Sunflower, failed again. Gave up and switched to Nebulosity and the sunflower was right there, so I shot it. The only difference I notice between SGP and Nebulosity was vertically flipped and slightly out of rotation (I do manual rotation).

Did you switch scope/lens since you went from F2.0 to F5.4?
If so you need to change the target scale or else it will usually not solve

2 Likes

Check the angle of the image in fits header against what the camera is manually set to. If the camera angle setting in the equip profile manager is set to “0”, but you have manually rotated the camera to something else, it won’t plate solve. Done it to my self a few times. If you manually rotate the camera you either have to set the camera angle in the profile manager to match, or use the manual rotator function in conjunction with the framing and mosaic wizard so that plate solving knows the angle of the camera. If using the “manual rotator” option be sure to calibrate ZERO in the control panel for the manual rotator before you start a sequence. Then SGP will prompt where to turn the camera to to match the frame angle you want. For next target be sure to reset to ZERO again or you’ll have plate solve issues again. Once I figured the “manual rotator” module and remember to start at Zero with the camera it has worked great.
John

Almost sounds like sgp was trying to meridian flip. Do you have the mount settings in sgp set correctly?

Optics change, but unrelated to each other. I setup everything in advance with “framing & mosaic”, solved and imaged at F2.0. A month later I did the same exact process for F5.4 on a different object, which could not solve.

Question, is the solving dependent on pixel on the asec/pixel used in “framing & mosaic”? I assume it’s just looking for a location.

John, I took me a long time to figure out how to get SGP to prompt me to rotate which it does after a solve. I’m not getting that far, it can’t solve, to tell me. It was just by chance that it was very close. I haven’t calculated how far off.

I always have it slew to first. I just says it failed.

You need the correct scale or else the resolution/FOV won’t match, set the correct scale it will will probably work 100%

Sorry, been away for a bit. The Frame and Mosaic scale and camera angle gets populated from the camera module in the equipment profile. If you change from one optic to another you need to create a different profile that takes in to account the difference in the scale. Probably won’t solve if the scale is different. You can either calculate the scale, or take an image and look at the FITs header for the actual scale. Also be sure to be in focus before a plate solve! To be prompted for the camera angle you need to have the “manual rotator” connected, and be sure to have the camera at the zero angle position and calibrate the manual rotator to the zero position. Then when you rotate your target frame in the frame and mosaic window to get the target framed the way you like SGP will know to tell you how far to move the camera to the proper angle when you plate solve. If you then later move the camera to some other angle and you didn’t change the angle setting in the camera equipment profile, you probably won’t be able to plate solve. At least that’s what I have found. After an imaging session I always reset the camera to the zero position, and re-calibrate the manual rotator back to zero. Also, I have found that if I try to plate solve out of PARK it sometimes fails unless I populate the current RA/DEC of the scope in the frame and mosaic window (top of window, under OTHER).
Well that’s all I can think of for now, hope it helps!
John