Plate Solving - Ansvr, 20% narrowest FoV Data Files

Hello.
I am reinstalling Ansvr and am trying to place its data files somewhere other than local drive to save space. In the mean time I am wondering what the merit of having data corresponding to 20% of the narrowest FoV is. I want to be sure that I am interpreting it correctly. So if the narrowest FoV that I work with is 32 arc-min, then I need to download data files corresponding to an FoV of 0.2x32=6 arc-min?

Thanks

Farzad

Farzad,

The 20% suggestion is a very conservative estimate. You can probably still get good results omitting the smaller scale (larger size) indexes. Try downloading just 4206 though 4219 and test solving some camera frames. BTW, you can look in the ansvr log file to see what index file actually gave the solution.

Andy

Hi Andy. I will do that, thanks. And where is the log file?

Windows Start menu > Astrometry.net Local Solver > Watch ansvr Log
or
C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\Local\cygwin_ansvr\var\tmp\platesolve\ansvr-DATE_TIME.log

Andy,

The program Watch ansvr Log appears to be good for real-time information as plate solving is taking place. The file
ansvr-DATE_TIME.log doesn’t exist in the location you specified. There is, however, a file that might have that information. I have attached that one and a snapshot of the content of the folder. I have also attached a suggestion on where the information can easily be shared.

Farzad

image.png

image.png

Thanks for the tip about the index showing up in the SPG’s Plate Solve window, I was not aware of that nifty feature.

The log files are the first 3 files in the screen-shot. The filenames include the date and time representing when ansvr started up. I mistakenly wrote “.log” in my prior post, should have been “.txt”.

Well, that was a suggestion. Do you think I should suggest it to SGP? I thought it was your programming.