Plate Solving Spiral Search

Dear all, lately, with higher frequency, I am getting Spiral Search when Plate Solving. I do not remeber changing anything in my profiles. Usually, after some cycles, I got a message that plate solve failed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards, Fernando

Maybe try a blind solve to get your mount accurately pointed or redo the pointing model on your mount if you’re using one?

Thanks,
Jared

Hi Fernando,

Can it be that a cone error is causing this ? It can specially happen with a dual mounting plate, there you need to see if the clamp ( and the scope fixed on it ) is perpendicular to the mounting plate. Plus the plain of your mounting plate has to be perpendicular to the DEC axis as well,

CS,
Janos

Hi Jared and Janus, thanks for your answer. I will try the blind solve the next time I will be imaging. I do not have a dual mount plate, but I will check ortogonality again.

What kind of amazes me is that this Spiral Search became more frequent recently. I will check my sets for plate solving in my profiles. I am quite sure that I did not mess with the sets recently. But,

Regards, Fernando

Platesolve2 searches with a spiral. The more your mount is misaligned from the pole, the longer the search with be. When I plate solve it usually solves within a cycle, so no apparent spiral. But when I move the mount and realign, searches can go in spiral for a while until the mount is synced. Could that be what you see? Could it be that your mount is more misaligned than before?