Hi Ken, I tried it but it did not resolve the problem. But I found something else which DID solve the problem. Find details below, hope it helps others.
First of all: in the forum post user FrancescoPelizzo refers to the error "Component "comdlg32.ocx" or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid."
I am not getting that error.
Nonetheless, I tried the steps to see if I could resolve the problem.
- Open CMD using 'run as admin'.
- In the Windows\System32 folder the file 'comdlg32.ocx' was not present.
- The file was present in the foder Windows\SysWOW64
- I ran the command 'regsvr32 /u comdlg32.ocx' from within the SysWOW64 folder. This completed succesfully ("DllUnregisterServer in ComDlg32.OCX succeeded")
- I ran 'regsvr32 /i comdlg.ocx' from within that folder. I got an error "The module "ComDlg32.OCX" was loaded but the entry-point DllInstall was not found. Make sure that "ComDlg32.OCX" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again."
- I ran 'regsvr32 comdlg.ocx' from within the same folder. This worked. "DllRegisterServer in ComDlg32.OCX succeeded."
- PlateSolve still gives the same error when called from SGP.
Then I started looking further at comdlg32.ocx.
8. I noticed there is also a 'comdlg32.ocx' file in the folder 'c:\users...\appdata\local\sequencegenerator'. Unregistering that one works but registering it with either /i or without this parameter results in the error "The module 'comdlg32.ocx' was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x8002801c. For more information about this problem, search online using the error code as a search term."
9. I have 2 different versions of comdlg32.ocx. One in SysWOW64 of 153k dated 14/11/2010 and one that comes with SGP of 137k dated 12/10/2016. To see if it would work better with the latest file in both places I unregistered the comdlg32.ocx file in SysWOW64; then I copied the comdlg32.ocx file from the SGP folder into the SysWOW64 folder and registered it there. However, Platesolve still has the same problem.
10. I also tried to reverse the situation by using the old version. This did not work.
And even some further digging as I used PlateSolve already for APT and it is still on my system.
11. I have a working install of PlateSolve2 version 2.28 on my C drive. This uses a very old comdlg32.ocx file, 137k in size dated 22/6/1999. Replacing my SGP's ocx with this one (and then registering it) did not solve the problem either.
From the log file I saw the call which is being made to launch PlateSolve, including parameters and the image file.
It looks like:
When I launch this via Windows Run command it fails, also when not launched via APT.
Now if I change the first path the the existing 2.28 version, like:
This works fine.
So I tried to copy the old comdlg32.ocx to the SGP folder. No result.
Then I copied the PlateSolve2.exe file to the SQP folder. No result.
Then I copied the configuration file PlateSolve2.ini to the SGP folder. This resolved the issue!
I attached both versions of the file to this post
PlateSolve2Config.zip (1.1 KB)
I tested to plate solve the same image again from SGP and that works fine.
I restored the PlateSolve.exe version to the one that came with SGP. Still fine.
I restored the comdlg32.ocx file to the one that came with SQP. Still fine.
In the end I have changed only 1 file: PlateSolve2.ini.
I got that from the PlateSolve2 version 2.28 which I manually installed earlier on my PC.
I have no idea why this solves the problem but it does.
The next time we have dark skies here I can test SGP in real-life scenario!