Please include FITS keyword BAYERPAT

I would like to have SGP include the Bayer pattern into the FITS header of images that were captured with OSC cameras, see FITS File Header Definitions . The value should be set by the user once in SGP. If left blank, no BAYERPAT keyword would be created.

E.g.:
BAYERPAT= ‘RGGB’

I checked that PixInsight uses the BAYERPAT keyword. If it is set correctly, debayering is working with the Bayer/mosaic pattern set to ‘Auto’ which is the default setting.

Bernd

BAYERPAT only reports that the camera has a Bayer pattern of some sort. To be useful to Pixinsight, the keywords COLORTYP, XBAYROFF, and YBAYROFF also need to be reported. Of course, SGP can only report these items if the camera driver supplies them.

Maybe. With my cameras (ASI294MC Pro and ASI071MC Pro), XBAYEROFF and YBAYEROFF are both zero. Actually, the debayering in PI works with Bayer/mosaic pattern set to ‘Auto’ when I create only BAYERPAT= ‘RGGB’.

Obviously you didn’t understand what I wished: My suggestion was that SGP writes the BAYERPAT keyword with a value of the Bayer pattern set by the user (after taking a look into the camera manual) in case the camera driver does NOT provide this information. This is not difficult, and not at all impossible.

Bernd

We’ll consider adding a generic area to add fits key/value pairs. Not entirely sure where we’d put this, but we’ll think if over.

Thanks,
Jared

Thank you, Jared.
Bernd

I want to add that PixInsight now (since the current version 1.8.8-4, released at 14th January 2020) also correctly evaluates the FITS keywords XBAYROFF and YBAYROFF when the values are specified in floating point format (which is quite normal). This was not the case previously.

Bernd

@Jared

With the improved CFA data management in the new PI 1.8.8-6, it is highly desirable that SGP supports the FITS keyword ‘BAYERPAT’ for the CFA mosaic pattern. Only in this way one can take advantage of the improvements in the processing.

It is now one year ago that I put a corresponding feature request: Please include FITS keyword BAYERPAT . Hope that you have thought it over…

Bernd

1 Like

Any late news on whether or not BAYERPAT will be added to the FITS header?

BobT

I want to bring up this feature request again. For owners of an OSC camera, the FITS keywords ‘BAYERPAT’, ‘XBAYROFF’, ‘YBAYROFF’ and ‘ROWORDER’ are important. Other acquisition software supports these keywords for a long time. I realize that PixInsight users again and again ask why when using SGPro the CFA pattern is not recognized automatically. E.g. the WBPP script will refuse to debayer the calibrated light frames and the execution of the script is stopped at this point, before registering and integration are performed. This is really annoying.

Please support these keywords! For my part, user-definable FITS keywords in the equipment profile would suffice as well.

Bernd