Pls Help Autofocus driving me crazy!

I’m new to autofocus routine My set up is Skywatcher Quattro 10" f4 newtonian with flattener and Atik 314+L
So my fist problem if I take a pic for 10 sec 2x2 I can get lots of stars and green round circles around them. If I go to autofocus and try the same set up 10sec 2x2 same part of the sky I get no green circles around stars but I get the stars so obviously something is not right. My focuser is moonlight. Some times when it detects stars I get a W or some times J but never V shape lines in AF. I been trying 1 month with this AF routine

1 Like

The green circles are for manual focusing so you can see if the numbers go up/down as you focual manually.
There is no need to show them to the user when using auto focus.

Some quick suggestions from me:

1sec should be more than enough with LRGB filters.
Disable smart focus with a newtonian.
Try more auto focus data points, 7 or 9 usually works nicely.
Try higher or lower step size.

For the outer and inner part of the auto focus routine you don’t want to be too far out of focus, if you get too far it won’t recognize stars anymore causing problems. Adjust this with step size/data points.

Thanks I found the problem. I used another of my CC’d camera an Orion starshoot pro color and it worked flawlessly. So my question is way is not working with narrow band filters or what do I have to do to make it work??j

You will likely need substantially longer exposures for narrowband filters. For my 3nm filters I need about 1 minute per exposure for auto focus. For this reason I use offsets for the filters and focus with lum. It’s much faster.

Thanks,
Jared