New feature request: add a polar alignment capability along the lines of that in SharpCap, i.e.
- From home position, take and platesolve image
- Rotate scope in RA through 90 degrees
- Take and platesolve image
- Deduce centre of rotation and notify user of error in az and alt
- (optional) Based on above, identify star onscreen and where to move it to while shooting new images continuously to give realtime update on user adjustments of alt/az knobs
Apart from the last optional step, all the functionality is already there. Just needs a simple bit of code to identify the coordinates of the centre of the rotation and the distance of that from the pole.
Would be especially useful for those of us in the southern hemisphere.
Restriction of SharpCap is that
(a) it requires a particular sized field of view to plate solve and so need to use a separate finder guider + camera combo piggybacked on the main scope (whereas SGP could do it with the main scope as its plate solve works fine as is), and
(b) SharpCap can only solve within about 5 degrees of the pole. SGP has no such constraints.
In addition, with the mount control, SGP could do the 90 degree rotation automatically - that is currently a manual step with SharpCap.