Populate from Astrobin

Anyone else having issues with the “Populate From” when using Astrobin links?

I remember similar issue a couple of years ago but I’ve been searching everywhere to see if the same is happening to someone else and so far I seem to be the only one with the issue.

I’m running version 3.1.0.457 and I get an error message saying that the image specified didn’t return any valid location data. I know I am using a solved image because I tried my own images and others’ and they all return the same value. I also tried with SGP installed on a laptop that runs my second rig and I still have the same results.

Please help, I use this feature a lot for my imaging.

Hi Ladyhawke, yes I and several others have this issue the past few weeks. There are a few open threads about it here, but so far no response from the devs. Please see…

and

and

I have also had a couple of email exchanges with Salvatore at Astrobin and he says that he didn’t change anything but has also asked the SGP folks about it.
I saw your post as I keep coming back here to see if anyone responded about it, or better still, fixed it.
I live in hope…
Cheers, Geof

1 Like

The format of the JSON coming back from AstroBin looks to have changed and is now wrapped in an additional object, thus when we serialized the data it was failing. We’ve addressed this and will be releasing a fix for 3.1 shortly.

Thank you,
Jared

1 Like

Thanks Jared, it’s good that you have identified the problem and will fix it in v3.1, but I’m still on v2 so does that mean that I won’t get the fix unless I purchase the upgrade to v3? Also I asked Salvatore about it and he said that he didn’t change anything on Astrobin, but from your diagnosis it seems that SGP is receiving something different from Astrobin, so I would like to ask Salvatore about that, if you could clarify please.
Regards, Geof

1 Like

The data coming back from Astrobin was certainly different than it was before. I emailed him as well about this. Basically the data is now wrapped with an object that contains metadata where previously it was an array of solved info (generally just a single object).

I’m unsure if/when we’ll update SGP2.

Thank you,
Jared

1 Like

Thanks so much, Geoff

1 Like

Astrobin is now using PixInsight for their plate solver for their new premium package. I am sure that this additional object must becoming from that change.

Bob

Just an FYI, Astrobin is going to be fixing this on their end so we’ll be releasing another patch to SGP to revert our fix. So be on the lookout for that in the next couple of days and don’t be too surprised if this breaks again, briefly.

Jared

Hi Jared, I asked Salvatore what changed and he confirmed that he had inadvertently made a change to the API which had nothing to do with the introduction of the PixInsight plate solver. When I explained that your fix, initially at least, will only be available in SGP v3, he said that he can revert the API change, meaning that the handshake between SGP and Astrobin would work on all SGP versions as before without you needing to apply any fix. Would this be acceptable to you please? I have suggested that Salvatore talk to you about it before making any changes.
Best regards, Geof

@geoflewis - yes, please see above.

1 Like

Thanks Jared, sorry for all the noise on this, but hopefully I helped facilitate a resolution to the problem.
Regards, Geof

Strange. When I sent an email to Salvatore yesterday, he replied saying that he didn’t make any changes on his end.

1 Like

Yes, I know, he originally said the same to me, but after Jared’s update I asked him again and today he confirmed that he had unwittingly made a change to the API, which he will revert. Hopefully we got there in the end…
Geof

It is working now in V2.6 with both the regular and new PI plate solves from AB. Thanks.

Scott

1 Like

I haven’t had the opportunity to try it myself yet, but that’s great news. Thanks to Jared for working with Salvatore to get it fixed :+1: