Problem with Starry Night Import and Unhandled Exception Error

During the spring of last year I found a way to import a long sequence of events by mimicking the output of a Starry Night list. I’d create the sequence in Excel and save it as a text document with an event name, the RA, and the Dec. I used the method to create a number of sequences that helped me track 30 variable stars without manually entering all the RAs and Decs.

I tried to repeat this using SGPro_2_6_0_11 today and I had problems (described below) accessing the sequence after it was successfully created. This was true for a real Starry Night list and a list that I created with Excel as described above. Jumping back to a prior version SGPro_2_5_1_17 gave me a sequence that caused no problems.

Dropbox link the real Starry Night list: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17326900/Observing%20List%201.txt
Dropbox to sequence that causes me problems: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17326900/problem.sgf

The “problem.sgf” successfully completes and saves. I can load it, but when I click to select any of the targets and then click on the gear to see target settings I get the unhandled exception error below.
Dropbox link to error: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17326900/error.jpg

Since everything does work in SGPro_2_5_1_1 I know I’m not losing my 68 y.o. mind. I wonder if someone would test my “problem.sgf” to see if they have similar problems with SGPro_2_6_0_11 or is it just me. Additionally would you also try to import the Starry Night list and test the results too. FWIW the Starry Night file is from SNP v6.

Thanks all…

@Steve_Boerner

Right. The issue you are seeing is unrelated to the import feature. Just verified your sequence loads fine in 2.6.0.12. Will try to get that out this evening.

This is happening on both of my Win 10 laptops. I do notice that you said “loads”…The sequence loads fine for me too, but the error happens when I click on the gear to see the target settings…ra and dec.

Have you tried to import the Starry Night pro list, load it, and then view the target settings?

Tks

I tried importing an Astro Planner target into 2.6.0.12. It does import but when I select target, I get an exception handling error. The same as reported in this thread. I had the same problem with 2.6.0.11.
If I open an older sequence it works fine. I cannot remember what version the older sequence was made with.
Ed Stuckey

Thanks for checking. I’m happy to know that the cause is probably not on my end.:yum:

FWIW there is still a SGP 2.5.1.17 in the download section that does work with the import. I’ve been switching between the older 2.5 and newer 2.6 when I want to import a sequence.

@estuckey

I am unable to reproduce that issue using 2.6.0.12 on any machine with any Astro Planner list (including the one available in the OP). Can you provide yours?

I don’t use Astro Planner. The only one I have that was created with Starry Night Pro pro the one in the original post.

I created Dropbox - File Deleted with the Excel/notepad method I mentioned. It creates positive results with 2.5 but not 2.6.1.11-12

Ken,

I have attached a XML file. I tried on 3 machines and got the same error. Really strange because if I bring in an older sequence that I had imported a astroplanner xml file into, it works fine.

Thanks for checking this.

Ed Stuckey

@estuckey

There does not appear to be any attachment on your message.

@Steve_Boerner

The problem you reported in the OP is fixed. The issue Ed is reporting appears to be unrelated.

Sorry to say, but using SGP 2.6.1.12 and the Dropbox link the real Starry Night list: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17326900/Observing%20List%201.txt still gives me the same error. After a successful import and then clicking on the gear to see the target settings I get the same error as shown in my original post.

OK. That’s a bummer. Unfortunately, with 2.6.0.12, I open File->Import Targets->Starry Nights, navigate to the txt file, click both check boxes for centering and get 25/25 imported. Switching back and forth between targets does not present an error.

You can try to go into the profile manager and uncheck your default profile. Then restart SGPro and repeat the import (don’t do anything else). If that works for you then there is some odd conflict between the import and your default profile settings. If that’s true, sending the SGP profile file you use will be helpful in tracing the issue.

Ken,
How do I attach a file, I do not use Dropbox much.
Ed

Ken,
This is the window I get with importing an Astro Planner XML file. Current version 2.6.0.12
I then uninstalled that version and installed 2.5.1.17 and imported the same XML file and it worked fine.

I hope that helps.
Ed

@estuckey

We talked with Paul from AstroPlanner today and he gave us some good info (and a heads up) for AstroPlanner. The SGPro help file has been updated to reflect this information… here is how it reads now:

AstroPlanner

If you are using AstroPlanner 2.2 or earlier:

1. Have your plan document open and at the front.
  2. File > Export > Generic Text, Excel, XML, or JSON file…
  3. Click the Clear All button under the Field Definitions list.
  4. Select XML as the Text Format.
  5. Make sure the Use localised formatting checkbox is OFF
  6. Click the “+” button under the Field Definitions list.
  7. Using the Value popup, select Object: ID
  8. Click the “+” button under the Field Definitions list.
  9. Using the Value popup, select Object: RA
  10. Click the “+” button under the Field Definitions list.
  11. Using the Value popup, select Object: Dec
  12. Choose what plan objects you want to export in Objects to export.
  13. Click Export… to export the XML file. Note that you might have to edit the exported file’s name to have an .xml extension afterwards.

If you are using AstroPlanner 2.3 or later:

Simply select File > Export > Sequence Generator Pro Target List…

Here is the link to Paul’s FAQ page: AstroPlanner FAQ

I tried the directions you provided and I am sad to say it did not work, still getting the unhandled exception error. I appreciate you following up on this matter.
Do you know why importing an astro planner file into version 2.5.1.17 works but not in version 2.6.0.12
Thanks
Ed

@estuckey

Can you please make the xml file available for us to look at?

My problem is fixed in 2.6.14

My problem also fixed.
Ed Stuckey