RC Truss Tube shrouds?

One of my fellow dark sky site members has just bought a 10" RC truss tube OTA. A discussion came up about whether having a shroud for the OTA was needed, not needed or doesn’t make a difference.

I’m sure there are other SGP users with similar scopes and I was wondering what owners think about the need for shrouds?

Charlie

It does seem to help mitigate dew and frost collecting on the truss elements and dripping onto the primary. Also discourages bugs, and night time birds/bats from using as a perch. Does take away from the good looks of the scope design though.

I am curious as to how it affects flats, if at all.

On some RC designs, (GSO design) there was a see through condition to the sensor (I cannot find the web link but I think they were assuming 24x36 rather than APS-C or 4/3). I use a shroud as standard, for protection from the elements and potential stray light.

In my view a shroud is absolutely necessary to help cut down on stray light entering the system.

Shroud on AT10RC cuts down on stray light a lot. Also makes the wind cause the scope to flutter more like a sail.

I use a shroud to 1) cut out stray light and 2) help keep dew/frost away.