Roof fails to close at sequence end, no apparent "Close Roof" command

For the last few weeks I have been trying to successfully get SGP to close my observatory roof at the end of a sequence, but have not found the right formula. I am using Skyroof as the motor control for the roof, and Skyalert as the monitoring software for my weather station.

I have slaved the roof to SGP and can open and close the roof successfully from the observatory window.

Also, when there is an unsafe condition during the sequence run, SGP recognizes the unsafe condition, and parks the mount, and then closes the roof successfully.

However, when a sequence ends under safe conditions, the mount parks, but the roof will not close. I have checked the log and cannot find a close command coming from SGP. I have selected Park Mount and Close Roof under the slave options and Park Mount at sequence end.

Wes, from Interactive Astronomy, the developer of Skyalert and Skyroof, has been very helpful. He suggested upgrading to latest SGP version, which I have done, as well as simplifying the sequence by only engaging the camera, mount, observatory and safety monitor. I tried this and it also didn’t seem to make a difference.

Here is the log and the settings I am currently using, although I have tried many other configurations with no luck

Does anyone see something that I have most likely overlooked here?

Thanks for taking a look at this
Kent

sg_logfile_20170711124556.txt (85.0 KB)

Hi Kent

Have you tried unchecking the “Allow external control of the telescope” box in the Telescope tab in the control box and equipment profile?

I know having this box checked has led to unusual behaviour in previous posts.

It may be the trick here as your system otherwise appears to be behaving as set in the profile, e.g. Slaving etc.

HTH

Thanks Barry for the suggestion. I tried unchecking the “Allow external control of the telescope”, and it didn’t seem to make a difference. However, after that, I went to the control panel window, and noticed that there is a separate “Slave to telescope” option that is unique to the slave options available in the profile manager. Once I selected it, the roof closed just fine at sequence end.

Now I just need to figure out how to keep the Slave to telescope option saved. I save the profile, and the slave options found there, but it doesn’t seem to save the control panel configuration.

How can I save the control panel configuration to a particular profile, so I don’t have to select this option every time I open a new sequence? Thanks!

I just did some more reading and I think I have figured this out. If I am not mistaken, the Control Panel is associated with the Sequence, and not so much the Profile, even thought the Sequence is generated by a profile. If I want to save some particular control panel settings, such as the one I mentioned above, I will need to save the sequence as a profile, with the desired control panel settings.

Does that sound right? Thanks

Kent

The equipment profile is like a template and when you create a sequence based on the profile, the control panel will have the settings of the profile. If you subsequently change a setting in the control panel for a particular sequence, the profile will not automatically be updated. If you want to update the profile (so the change will be applied to all future sequences with that profile) you can choose to save sequence as profile (or open the profile, make the change and then save the profile).

Thanks Barry. That makes sense to me. The only thing I am still a bit confused by is why there is a setting on the control panel, that does not seem to be available in the profile settings. i.e.- Slave to telescope. I am wondering why it is not available as a profile setting?

Thanks Barry for your help!

You might try (if you have not already) checking “park telescope” under post event settings (gear icon on the last event).

I use that (except as pre-event) to park my scope (and close roof if they are synched) after lights and before darks, allowing darks/flats to proceed after twilight. It works perfectly. I am using a Maxdome controller,however, for my roof.

Great suggestion CCDMan. I will give it a try. Thanks.