Setting the Gain for CMOS camera

I got a new camera, an ASI071 CMOS this time, and have some questions re. gain setting (I am using the ASCOM driver):

1. It seems that I can only set the event related gain if the camera is connected. Why is this so? Is there a better way?

2. How do I set the gain for the Plate solving frames? I would like to have it at a higher value than the gain for light frames (usually 0) to shorten the exposure time.

3. How do I set the gain for the “Frame and Focus” function?

4. What is the effect of setting the gain for different binning values in the Equipment Profile manager? Will this take precedence over the gain setting for the Event? What is the intended use case for this setting?

5. I would very much like to have the event gain setting in the event table instead of having it buried deep into the low-level event settings window. If screen space is of concern, the width for the “Progress”-column could be substantially reduced by shortening the progress bar. It is unnecessary wide.

EDIT: Running version 3.1.0.457 on Windows 10.

Kind regards,
Horia

Event gain should be available at any time, we just can’t populate it so you have to manually enter it.

Currently this will use the global gain setup.

Event gain settings take precedence over everything. The gain per binning is probably more useful for CCD cameras where you’d likely want a different gain at a different binning level.

We’ve been discussing making the columns in this table more user selectable. Gain/Offset would certainly be available when that happens.

Jared

Thank you, Jared, for the detailed answer.

Kind Regards,
Horia