SGP 2.5.0.18 Beta about QHY portrait/landscape mode

Continuing the discussion from Sequence Generator Pro 2.5.0.18 Beta is Released for Testing:

I am not sure I understand. Is this for only QHY cameras or does it affect all cameras? I have a habit of sticking to Nebulosity for taking bias, darks, and flats and will your latest update require that bias, darks and flats to be captured with SGP in order to properly calibrate with lights captured with SGP?

I am using QSI 660wsg camera and so far capturing lights with SGP calibrates fine with bias, darks and flats captured with Nebulosity. I have not tried to capture bias, darks and flats with SGP.

Thanks,
Peter

All cameras are affected by this, but most store data in landscape mode so will not see any observable change.

This is not usually a good idea. You really want the same application to capture light and calibration data. The imaging application is delivered data… as a user, you have absolutely no control over how (or if) that data is processed. Maybe one application crops overscan areas, reduces amp glow, reads data from top to bottom instead of bottom to top, or rotates data to fit better into the display.

If capture of cal data in one application and capture of light data in another is working, it’s just luck.

OK, thanks. I guess I will have to re-do darks and bias again with SGP but it’s probably over due by now anyway.

Peter

Hi

I use a QHY10 and understand that the ASCOM driver downloads and presents images ‘diagonally flipped’ from the normal landscape view. ‘Diagonally flipped’ means the image is rotated by 90 degrees AND horizontally flipped. Rotating the image is only half the job. Nebulosity 3/4 does the full rotate and flip. I think the SGP change is a very good initiative - it is much better to view images in landscape - but I also recommend that images should be both rotated AND horizontally flipped - i.e. all or nothing.

I think there is no need to redo darks/biases. Take the masters you already have, and rotate/flip them as necessary to match what the imaging software presents (whatever that is).

Cheers
DC

Has anyone run the ASCOM Conform tester with the QHY10?

What are the default values for the ASCOM properties CameraXSixe, CameraYSize, NumX, NumY, StartX and StartY?

Normally for an image that’s wider than it is high CameraXSize should be greater than CameraYSize and NumX greater than NumY. StartX and StartY should both be zero.

The ImageArray should then deliver an image that is displayed wider than it is high with the width the same as NumX and the height NumY. If the width and height are swapped that will be a problem.

I’ve always ensured that an ASCOM driver returns an array that is like that and if used with a lens - or a pinhole - will deliver an image that is not reflected. In other words it behaves as a camera.

Chris