SGP 2.6.0.24 just stopped working on my Windows 10 machine

For some reason, SGP 2.6.0.24 has stopped opening on my Windows 10 machine. Went back to 2.6.0.23 and all works. Just interested in seeing if this has happened to anyone else. I did several uninstalls/installs. I did do a recent Windows update.

Bob

@Robert_Kimball

This seems like it might be from corrupted settings. With 2.6.0.24 installed again, from the command line, you can run:

"Sequence Generator.exe" /recover

If that fails, run:

"Sequence Generator.exe" /reset

If that doesn’t work, write back and I’ll point you to the surefire, but manual way to do it.

I’m unfamiliar with the command line.

I did open up the Console and typed exactly what you typed, quote marks and all, but it didn’t accept it as a command. Then I put “run” in front of it and tried agaAn. again nothing.

Bob

Try This: Open the command prompt.

cd "\Program Files (x86)"
cd “Sequence Generator”

Then type what Ken suggested:

“Sequence Generator.exe” /recover

If that fails, run:

“Sequence Generator.exe” /reset

Thank you @entilza, exactly

To be clear, when I say “If that fails”, I don’t mean the command… there is very little chance that will fail. After you run each, try to open SGPro again. If SGPro still fails to open, go to the next command.

Ken,

I set the directories and ran the commands. Still no luck. Not a problem, 2.6.0.23 seems to work find.

Bob

Ken, I just ran into the same problem as Bob in Version 3.0.2.91

I used CMD and typed in the commands and I get this error message “Sequence is not recognized as an internal or external command”

I tried both recover and reset. FYI, I am in the Sequence Generator folder after I change directories, I can see that

What do I do?

Walter

Hi Walter,

Given your error message, it would appear you left off the quotes from Ken’s original instructions. That space in the exe name is a problem without them.

Beo

Hello Beo,

Here is a screenshot, I did use the quote marks. It looks like something behind the scene is happening, but when I try to run SGP nothing opens. Neither recover or reset works.

Make sure you put a space after the quote before the /. Otherwise I’m not sure that will parse out as to a parameter. It may not actually be doing the /recover or /reset without the space.

Beyond that, Microsoft just finally forced me to reboot so they could finish applying the April update and messing up my PC too! SGP still seems to be working, but it screwed up ASCOM again. I’m not sure if that will affect the average user, but as a developer, I wasn’t able to complete a build of my project since Windows de-registered some part of the ASCOM libraries. I had to re-install (again) to get it working. Not the first time this has happened, BTW.

Beo

Nope, I tried the extra space and I get the same thing the little spinning wheel, then when I try to open SGP the little spinning wheel, and then nothing happens. :frowning_face:

Hi Walter,

the following input

cd “/Program Files (x86)”

changes the current path correctly on my machine (german Windows 7).

Bernd

Bernd, I never said that it did not, I can change the path just fine. The commands recover and reset do not work, they do nothing.

Walter

I am facing the same problem with my primaluce eagle computer (win10) after the latest win update. I tried everything what I could find in this forum, but nothing worked. I use the latest SGP version. Any clue?

I have given up on SGP for the time, since none of the developer(s) can offer me any help. I downloaded an 80 day free trial of Prism and it seems to be worth the price. It is used in Europe by several pro observatories as their control system and numerous amateurs especially in France. It is a very good all in one software. Since I have been using it the application has never crashed once on my Windows system. It has built in guiding (better than PHD2), plate solving, support for three cameras at one time, an integrated sky-chart, auto calibration frames, and fully autonomous control including controlling switches if you have a remote observatory. It also has a powerful imaging processing package that rivals PixInsight which is built into the software – truly all in one solution. I’m not disparaging SGP in any way! It is a good software package for the price but it has stopped working on my machines and no one can help me figure out what to do. So…

Could it be this: Advisory on July 2018 .NET Framework Updates - .NET Blog

Apparently the July round of windows updates has caused a lot of issues across many applications including exchange server.

Try rolling back the windows updates maybe?

Thank you for the idea!
I thought of that, but I don’t think it will work in my case. I connect to my astro computer remotely via RealVNC which needs a WIFI connection. So good old Windows will force me to update sooner or later. I even disabled automatic download of updates on the computer Disable Windows 10 updates
but sometime in July Windows still finally forced me to update. Once that happened SGP was broken – at least for me.