SGP 2. Stability

It have been very stable for me. However, I have used the software for years and am familiar with it and therefore can fairly easily learn added functions. It is certainly more complex than when I started and a new person learning it all at once may have more difficulty.

Unlike astro processing software, you can only fully check out SGP under clear skies. Any problem and you could lose a rare clear night. So, its easy to see why some would quickly retreat to simpler capture software that they are familiar with.

My experience is very similar to Buzz and Tim . . . perhaps my experience with SGP and the relative stability of my gear (I haven’t changed anything of note for some years) means I have sure paths & patterns of use within SGP, even with its newer features, that means I avoid any conflicts. Eg I now use a desktop pc that has sufficient USB ports rather than any hubs, no guide cam and/or PHD2 integration.

(Sorry if my post didn’t come across as sympathetic to those who do experience gremlins - it was not meant that way :grin:).

Barrry

Hi Tim , Buzz and Barry

Good to hear your comments all taken on board

Harry

It’s exactly what I’d expect, long term users have learned to avoid the bugs. It doesn’t mean that reports from new users can be ignored.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Proof by induction is a slippery thing. There are all these turkeys in a (UK) turkey farm. They love the farmer, he looks after them really well, makes sure they are well fed and don’t get ill. What’s not to like! The only strange thing is that they haven’t heard from their American cousins recently…

:thumbsup:

I think this post illuminates two different kinds of bug. There are those about operational stability, like memory leaks, race arounds, multithreading and so on. The presence of several users who have hundreds of hours of uneventful use, suggest that this aspect is good. I could never leave MDL to do its thing and had to constantly monitor it and recover from crashes during a sequence.
The other side are the logic and UI bombs, where the developer and the experienced user press buttons and options in a logical fashion, or over the years they have avoided that equipment whose drivers behave differently. It is the off-piste operation where the fun begins.