SGP and Pulsar Dome

Thanks for letting us know.

As a general point, it’s almost always worth keeping the driver developer or manufacturer in the loop when you have a problem involving their kit. If they don’t know about a problem they can’t fix it or provide advice. They can’t be expected to follow every one of the multitude of sites where people chat about astronomy and imaging.

Chris R

Jason,

I’m having similar problems with the dome drive unit on a Pulsar dome becoming unresponsive and having to power cycle the control unit to get things running again. You say that a firmware update fixed everything. I presume that’s a firmware update of the dome control unit? What version are you running now? Also, which dome control unit is it - the latest one as per this page of Pulsar’s website: http://pulsarobservatories.com/products.php?category=drive ? Where did you get the firmware update from and how do you install it on the drive unit?!!?

Thank you.

Gav.

Gav sorry for the late response as I have just got back from holiday. The firmware version is 1.08 for my dome and it has the same control unit as the one in your link. The firmware just updated automatically when I opened the pulsar software, I am not sure if you can do this manually though as I don’t have my computer with me at the moment. Which firmware version are you running?

Jason

Hi Jason.

I hope you had a good holiday - somewhere dark?! The firmware version in my control unit is 1.08 too, which doesn’t really help! I have spoken with Gary at Pulsar about this problem and I am waiting for the software developers to contact me. I did run a test the other afternoon and set the mount tracking a star in day time with the dome slaved to it. It ran perfectly for over two hours. This makes me think that things go awry only when more software is running during an imaging run, things like PHD2 which are probably hammering the USB bandwidth. Looking in the trace log for the dome, it is active an awful lot per second, which makes me suspicious. I don’t know if it is possible to reduce the polling frequency though…

Clear skies,

Gav.

Evening gents,

I’ve just had the new drive motor installed to my original 2.2 my pulsar dome and would now like to sync it with SGP.

Everything connects, but the dome will not rotate when the scope slews.

Do I need to fill in the slave box? If so could somebody help me fill in the blanks.

I’ve attached the slave box setting window.

Regards

Darren

Darren,

Bad news on two fronts. Yes - you will have to fill in the offsets. These you will have to measure on your own equipment…they will not be the same for everyone’s set-up. Look through the information that you have in the help files (or online)…you will need to get to understand what exactly the offsets mean…then you will know what exactly to measure.

However, doing that will not make the dome follow the scope…that will just improve things when you get it following. There is some other reason for the dome not moving when the scope moves (I think). Perhaps you are not actually starting a sequence…just testing. In that case you need to have “Slave to Telescope” box checked in the “Control Panel / Other” window.

Hi Kinch,

Thanks for your reply. All the above makes sense.

I have managed to get the dome to slew with the scope which is at least a start. Only a minor niggle considering I thought tonight was going to be a nightmare, but in the control panel I tick “Slave to telescope”, but when I close SGP down and reconnect, the tick has vanished and I have to re tick.

Considering it will only work with this ticked, is there a way of keeping it ticked permanently?

Lots more to learn, but at least I’m moving in the right direction.

Regards,

Darren

When you have it ticked in the observatory settings (profile manager) - then it will be slaved automatically every time you start a sequence. For now, if you are just doing some testing (not running a sequence) - you will have to tick the box each time you fire SGP up. It is a safety thing really…not a hardship :smile:

Yes - getting everything running together is always a chore but when you figure out (measure actually) your offsets and watch the dome follow the scope every night…it will be a joy :wink:

Oh ok I understand know.

Tick Slave in the equipment profile manager for sequence (which stays ticked) and slave in control panel for testing (which you re-tick each time).

As you say it’s not a hardship, but when it kept dropping off, I naturally assumed there was a problem or I was doing something wrong.

One last question and I’ll leave you in peace (thank god he says), where do I look to find out more about off sets? Is there a link you could send me or just point me in the right direction of where to search.

Again thank you for you time and help. We have clear skies tonight and so it will be used in anger for the 1st time.

Regards,

Darren

Good morning Darren,

Firstly - I am glad to help anyway I can. That, in general, is what we all use the forum for.

Re getting some understanding of the offsets: a good place to start would be in SGP help files. Click ‘Help’ at the top of the SGP window and go to “Control Panel/Equipment”, then “Other Equipment”, then “Observatories” and finally “Slave Settings”.
There is some good and relevant information there…but also search around the internet, you will most likely find a diagram or two which always helps.

There is one setting on my dome that I want to check and I’ll get back to you when I do - I’ll do that within the hour, so look back here later. (I also have a Pulsar Dome - just the older motor controller & driver).

I wanted to check my own setting for the dome: the diameter setting in particular.

Here I have it at 1990 mm BUT in the driver setup I had to set the RADIUS not the diameter

Never mind the fact that the driver set up is in French…you most likely have a different driver with you new Pulsar. But…just in case it is relevant in respect to the diameter setting.

I’ll send you a PM (private message) via the board here with my email address. Feel free to contact me directly if you want one to one re any particular problems.

Kinch,

That’s really kind thank you.

I’m currently at work but will send you an email tonight.

Regards

Darren