SGP and Scopedome slave configuration

I using the scopedome dome with sgp in slave configuration under observatory configuration and it not works very fine in the south direction.
In the scopedome software and driver is it possible to manual map the telescope position and the dome position in order to manage critical point as meridian, but if I configure in sgp the slave settings it use the local configuration data and sgp algorithm in order calculate the coordinate where move the dome.
Is it possible to have the slave configuration and send to the dome only the telescope position? I don’t want to loose the slave configuration in order to close the dome after the sequence ending or I have an environment alarms.

I read in a different thread that.

If that’s the case it looks like something funny is happening with the hour angle calculation. There are 2 different types of dome slews:

1. We read all info from the scope and calculate the dome Azimuth. This is the normal “slave” polling that happens and is all over the log.
  2. A slew is invoked. In this case we can’t get all the info from the scope (as the scope isn’t at the slew position). So we calculate it out.

I don’t know if it is related to my question.

Unfortunately slaving the dome with SGP is somewhat “all or nothing” at the moment.

The only exception is if your dome driver allows multiple connections, then you could likely set your dome to a Roll off Roof in SGP, and then SGP will only try to open and close it with the mount park/unpark commands.

So if your dome driver supports multiple connections you can give that a shot.

Thanks,
Jared

The OP mentioned using the ASCOM ScopeDome application. This is a hub that connects to both the scope and the dome and manages the dome slaving independently of SGP.

In normal use it monitors the scope position and adjusts the dome azimuth so the mount can see out but if it sees a slew command being sent to the scope it will use this position to calculate the dome azimuth and slew there while the scope is slewing.

The scope Slewing property should wait for both the dome and the scope to report they are not moving before returning false.

You should not need to inform SGP about the dome at all, but…

I’ve never tried it but it may be possible to set up SGP and say that you have a roll off roof. Specify ScopeDome for both the telescope and the dome and set up the ‘dome’ as a roll off roof in SGP. This should mean that scopeDome handles syncing so the scope can see out and SGP opens and closes the shutter as it feels fit.

It’s not possible to comment without considerably more detail about what ‘not works’ means. We need details of exactly what is happening, with numbers. probably also log files.

Does ScopeDome expose it’s own telescope driver that combines the slewing state of the Dome and Mount (and potentially is more reactive to slews than polling the actual telescope)?

I believe I’ve used ScopeDome before but it’s been a while. It may very well provide the option to open/close the observatory when the “shared” mount driver is parked/unparked.

Thanks,
Jared

Sorry, I confused ScopeDome with one of the ASCOM hub applications. I get the impression that it’s intended to control one of their domes and not any dome through it’s own driver.

I’m not sure about this, I have to ask to ScopeDome (they have a very good support).
I read in the manual of the old version (http://www.scopedome.com/en/ScopeDomeDriverHelp/index.html) and example of script

set dome = createobject ("Ascom.ScopeDomeUSBDome.Dome")
dome.Connected=true
dome.OpenShutter
dome.SlewToAzimuth(5)

that it seems have the slew command. So if SGP send the slew command instead the move dome command it will works. The own driver is better because is possible (http://www.scopedome.com/Doc/Manuals/MapPoint_EN.pdf) to map the dome and telescope in order to have the exact correspondence between telescope position and dome position. Furthermore is it possible to avoid some critical positions of the dome (azimuth near south position is to avoid because the shutter partially cover the line of sight).

I’m sorry, but I wrote a non correct solution. I spoke with ScopeDome support and it confirms that after a telescope slew command the driver moves the telescope than the dome. So it is not useful because SGP moves the dome than the telescope in order to have the telescope ready to shoot and verify the position after a slew.
I think we needs a command that return the dome coordinate related to a slew command, I’ll ask to ScopeDome support.

The ScopeDome shared the script manual, I don’t found any solution on it, but maybe it is useful for you

Scope dome Scripts_Guide_5.1.3_ENG.pdf.zip (774.5 KB)